1980 GS850 - Rubber hose from Airbox to Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 - Rubber hose from Airbox to Carbs

The rubber hose on my bike from the airbox to the carbs looks more like deformed plastic than rubber. It has no give at all. In a prior post I found someone suggesting using automobile radiator hose to replace these. Since bikebandit wants $10.73 for one, and I need 4, I would prefer to use the radiator hose. The OE hoses are marked "R" and "L". Is there a difference that I have to worry about if I use radiator hose??
    I'm thinking that I should insert the radiator hose about a 1/4" into the airbox, then score the outside rubber where the hose meets the airbox so as to form a slot for the airbox to seal to the hose. Does this sound like it would work? Anything else I should know before I try this? Thanks.

Spend the money and get the correct part. sealing between the carbs and the air box is very important. I think the rad hose idea was for the carb to engine intake boots

Comment

Do your boots (hoses) have air leaks? spray carb cleaner or starter fluid on them when the bike is running (be careful..) and see if the rpm changes. If so, then there are leaks and need to be replaced. However, you can do a decent (cheapsake) repair with silicone. You can buy a tube al you local autoparts/hardware store. They make it in all colors. I'd be hesitant about using radiator hose. Is it designed to hold up to gas???

Comment

Just brace yourself and buy the original boots. The radiator hose is not easy to make work. I bought new ones from bikebandit and they almost put themselves on. Why mess around?

Comment

heres a question
          When running pod type air filters with airbox removed where can u run the above hose?

Comment

You're better off with the right parts.
            Get the parts at www.ronayers.com, you'll save some money.

bill

Comment

Originally posted by Wayno
              heres a question
              When running pod type air filters with airbox removed where can u run the above hose?
              I run a hose to the back of my bike and have a PVC filter on the end...it is mounted under the license plate so you can't see it. You need to have some sort of filter on it to keep trash from being sucked into the engine as it cools.

Hap

Comment

Im in australia
                and what part are u meaning? the airbox?
                i have one all ready i just put pod filters on 1 of the bikes
                is there a part that connects the breather?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayno
                  Im in australia
                  and what part are u meaning? the airbox?
                  i have one all ready i just put pod filters on 1 of the bikes
                  is there a part that connects the breather?
                  I just realized that we are talking about three different hoses here...Those between the head and the carbs, those between the carbs and the airbox, and the engine vent hose that goes from the valve cover to the airbox.

I have never heard of any one using radiator hoses between the carbs and the airbox... radiator hoses between the head and the carbs is common, especially with flatside carbs.

Hap

Comment

I ordered the parts.

Thanks, everybody. I just ordered the parts from www.ronayers.com. Billp was right. I saved about 30% over the bikebandit price. I will definitly order from Ron Ayers from now on.
                    The old boots had been disconected by some prior owner, then left to sit for years mashed up against the carb bodies. The openings are not round anymore, they are more like mashed ovals. They won't unbend. The guy I bought the bike from had only had it for a few months. He cleaned the carbs (some were leaking), but hadn't replaced the boots. He could only get the bike to run around in his yard. Anytime he hit the throttle it died. Thats why he sold me the bike. He had replaced the hoses from the carbs to the cylinder head, but he hadn't tightend the hose clamps. I ordered new O-rings and an air filter also. I figure if he didn't replace the boots he didn't replace the O-rings either.
                    After I put on the boots , filter and O-rings I'll try firing it up for the first time. Hopefully, this will give me a running engine. Then I have to redo the front fork seals, and fix the dragging calipers. Then I'll try putting it on the road.
                    As you can tell, I'm new at fixing motorcycles. This site is a great resource to people like me.
                    Thanks again.

Comment

when running pods you can use a positive crankcasee breather filter like they usse on import cars when intakes get modded... You can buy one at the local auto store for 10- 15 $$ and it is reusable..

Comment

I just went to ronayers and couldn't find anything on the 850. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Arveejjay wrote:
                          I just went to ronayers and couldn't find anything on the 850. What am I doing wrong?
                          You have to go to bikebandit first and get the part number off the schematic for your bike. Then you go to Ron Ayers and enter the part number you copied from bikebandit. Ron Ayers does not have the GS 850 schematic up. When I entered the part numbers I got the price listing.
                          I hope this helps. If you can't get it to work let me know, and I'll try and explain it better.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have bought them from BB before and need another set, so if ronayers is cheaper, I'll get them there.

Comment

Well I went to bike bandit and the parts were $44.00 plus $20.00 shipping. Then I went to ronayers and bought them for about $7.00 each and app. $7.00 shipping. Saved around $30.00. Man I love a bargain. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X