Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost key - please help

Hi,

I have a '77 GS550 the only key of which my friend lost while housesitting for me. I didn't make a duplicate before cuz I'm an idiot.

I've read a variety of posts on this. I have no seat lock, no helmet lock, and the gas cap is under the lock which is operated by the lost key. So, I figure I have to take off my ignition switch to take to the locksmith. My issue is that I'm not sure what this entails. I'm not much of a mechanic at all so I'd like to just make sure if it would require any kind of "special" tool or drilling or involve messing with wires I don't understand?

Any help, pleeease? I've been gone 2+ weeks and its begging me to start it...

Thanks,
    Stan

Wecome to the forum Mr. Sthchen,

I used the search function here & typed in "lost key". Lots of posts came up, here's a sample one:

Apparently there's a 3 digit code number you can locate that a locksmith can use to make a key.

Good luck finding it,

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

It will be easier for you to take off the tank & take THAT to the locksmith than the ignition switch. Make sure you empty the tank before you take it to them. Ray.

Comment

Why would you take it off ? Have the locksmith come to you. They do housecalls, just like old timey doctors in western movies.

I would think if you have a dealership near you, they could help as well.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The locksmith who did mine said I could take in the whole bike if it was easier. So if you have a truck & a friend you could consider that. (Or have a housecall but I think it'd cost a lot more.)

Comment

It is MUCH cheaper to take it to them than to have them come to the bike! Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I did read some posts, and I know about the code. That's why I mentioned that I didn't have access to the gas cap and had no helmet or seat lock, which is why I asked about taking off the ignition switch.

I also realize I can ask for a house call, as well as tow the bike to the locksmith. Both would cost more, I think, than taking off the ignition switch (as long as, that is, taking the switch off is not too difficult, which is why I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit more info about whether doing that would be difficult in any way). I'm trying not to spend too much on it...

As for taking in the tank, I read in another forum/site that having them make a key from the gas cap cover is not a good idea because there are only 5 pins on that one, while there are 6 on the actual ignition switch, so it would be a matter of guessing to see if the key made for the former would work for the latter. I'm not sure, though, if that info was (1) accurate and (2) applied to my particular bike?

Anyway, I just can't find any darn info on the ignition switch online or in my clymer's...

Thanks again,
              stan

Comment

I had a similar problem when a bought a bike with no key. Yes, took the ignition switch off and a locksmith made a new key that operated everything. Took a few days to get the right blank, but that was OK.

Getting it off isn't that hard, just time-consuming (which is good to prevent thieving). Just keep unbolting stuff. You'll need the larger sizes of allen wrenches to remove the lock, and it's just one 3-wire electrical connector.

Had to do it all again a couple years later when the switch failed, so now I have two separate keys, but it still works overall.

Comment

The ignition switch isn't too hard to remove if there is no windshield. Remove the headlight (2 or 3 screws, unplug it and set aside). Remove one of the headlight housing bolts (12mm) and pivot housing to the side. There are 2 bolts on the bottom of the switch that can now be accessed (5 or 6mm hex?). I use a rachet, extension and hex bit. Remove these and the switch drops out, but the plug for it may be under the tank or in the headlight housing. I consider this easier and safer than draining the tank and hauling it around. It also gives you the opportunity to do preventative upkeep on the switch. The top part is a mechanical device and needs lubed (holes in the side, I use LPS2). The bottom is the contact area. You can spray electrical contact cleaner in there and work it, but I would recommend disassembly and cleaning.

Comment

very helpful info - thanks!

Comment

Try the link below. I found the three digit code on the fuel cap and had two Suzuki plastic headed keys at my door in less than a week. It is on ebay and they accept paypal so rather painless.

Good luck!!!
                      1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
                      1970 Honda C70

Comment

man that's a great idea, having a spare key.

following through with getting one would be even better
                        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693054986_036c0d6951_m.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693282393_74ae51fbf9_m.jpg https://flic.kr/p/2mKXzTx]

Comment

By the way Sthechen, The code can be seen without removing the fuel cap. It should be faintly stamped where the key is inserted. It was on mine anyway.
                          1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
                          1970 Honda C70

Comment

Apparently there's a 3 digit code number you can locate that a locksmith can use to make a key.
                            spare keys used to be available from a suzuki dealer if you had the code.

Comment

i managed to take off the switch without much hassle.

all i see is a *six* digit code on the back. weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X