Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Sync before adjusting mixture screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Sync before adjusting mixture screws?

A few questions really. Does it matter if I adjust the mixture screws before syncing the carbs or will that throw off the mixture screw setting?

Also, why is it necessary to remove the tank to sync the carbs? -nick

BTW - this site...

Implies you do them together/mixture first. Am I reading this right?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM.

I believe that you need to sort out the mixture before synching. You only need to remove the tank to gain access to the screws on the carbs. Best of luck.

Comment

Set the mixture screws to the same (turns out from lightly set). Then sync. You cannot get to the sync screws without the tank off. In fact, it is difficult to do so with the tank off as it is. Some people, like me, use a special tool to do it. Best of luck Nick!

Comment

What special tool do you use. Is it something you can pick up at the hardware store or something rare and hard to find?

Comment

Originally posted by CodyLHen View Post
          What special tool do you use. Is it something you can pick up at the hardware store or something rare and hard to find?
          It is rather rare, not that hard to find (if you know where to look) and not all that expensive, but it does not work on all bikes.

I have used one before, and on some bikes, space is just too limited on the center two carbs to get a straight shot for the tool to work. As frustrating as it seems, I have better success with an 8mm open-end wrench and a long screwdriver.

The tool is sold by Motion Pro and retails for $19.90.

As far as sequence, the very first thing to check is valve adjustment. That will assure that the pistons will draw in somewhat equal amounts of air with each stroke. Then I will get the mixture screws set close enough for the bike to run. Run the bike to warm it up, sync the carbs. Now that each cylinder is pulling the same amount and the bike is running smoothly, fine-tune the mixture (while the vacuum gauges are still attached). Then I will double-check the sync to make sure nothing changed. Usually nothing changes, but I would rather check it while I still have everything connected.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yea, that tool. Sure, the inside one sucks hard, but the other two, the tool works very well.

Comment

Working...
            X