Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
    DING!DING!DING! We have winners!!

If you look at the microfiche from Suzuki, it sure looks like I put it in right. But after hearing from Ray, I checked the one on my Skunk. Sure enough...backwards. I thought I was going to have to split the cases again! But I was able to get it out. I drilled a small hole in it, then reamed the hole out with a screwdriver to make a bigger hole. Then I slowly clipped on it with some side cutters and eventually tore it out.

New one on order. From searching some old posts, I should be able to drive a new one in.

Thanks for playing along!
    I was going to guess that you didn't polish the inside of your cases well enough yet.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow, that was quicker and more fun than my thread by the same name.

By the way, a current photo of that bike is in my sig, as son #2 bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I was going to guess that you didn't polish the inside of your cases well enough yet.
        Eeeww, you're right! I'm on it!!
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

And get a new dime bag and some beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
            And get a new dime bag and some beer!

That's why i love this site, great minds all think alike-lol great thread.

Comment

I can picture Bruce now, pulling a Homer...

DOH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                I can picture Bruce now, pulling a Homer...

DOH!!!
                When RapidRay called me, I didn't want to believe him! So I had to go out to the garage and pull the cover off the Skunk. And it was an instant "Ah, Schitt!!"

Look at part number 20. It faces just like I installed it.

I sure didn't want to pull those cases apart! I just hope I can get the new seal in.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I have faith in ya Bruce. You'll make it work, or bugger it up tryin HEHEHEHE. I have found a couple of small discrepencies like that in some of the parts fiches. The rear caliper assembly is a bit like that. The way THEY show it going together clearly doesnt work. but yet, there it is in black and white...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                    Whats the prize?
                    A hardy hand shake, a pat on the back, and the warm glow of victory!

Comment

This was a fun read. I don't know what anybody is talking about (I mean besides the beer and the pot). If I were standing in the presence of the bike, and you showed me the piece that's backwards or whatever, I might be able to nod my head and grunt, but God help me if I had to put it together correctly.
                      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693054986_036c0d6951_m.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693282393_74ae51fbf9_m.jpg https://flic.kr/p/2mKXzTx]

Comment

At least he's honest, folks.
                        Nodding and grunting has gotten mankind this far, why stop now?

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems driving in a new one. I have done it several times. I used an exhaust expander coupling, as it was the perfect diameter to sit inside the seal, laid a piece of 2X on the back side, and smacked it with 3LB hammer. Make sure everything is lined up staight. You will probably shave off a hair bit of rubber, but it won't leak once it is fully seated.

Comment

Guess what, I apparently installed mine wrong last winter when I did the overhaul. I found a pic of it last night. I need to do some checking of old pics and service manual. I put about a 1000 miles on it over the summer with no leaks. I feel like a bufoon!

Comment

Sorry Tarbash but I get the prize! Bruce is giving me his PRISTINE 1150 for saving him from an oil leak!Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                                Sorry Tarbash but I get the prize! Bruce is giving me his PRISTINE 1150 for saving him from an oil leak!Ray.
                                Err...ummmm... dream on!

But I definitely owe you dinner at least!
                                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                                X