No announcement yet.

Will this work in my bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with buying used electrical parts is you really don't know what you are buying. The part is 18yrs old(assuming it is original) and GS's are known for their problematic charging system. Unless money is really tight, I would opt for both a new stator and R/R. I bought a Ricks stator and R/R from dennis kirk and am happy with the results. If you need a R/R, there is a member here named Duaneage that sells a replacement for a very reasonable price.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Most likely NOT.

The stator on your '78 is likely a 12-pole unit, the one in the picture is an 18-pole unit.

And I will second the recommendation to get a R/R from Duaneage.
      Better unit than stock, and he has already tested it to make sure it works.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A GS500 stator would work in an 80+ 850G, but not in the earlier 750 or 850, which supposedly require the 12 pole stator.

Exactly why they require a 12 pole stator has never been explained to me, but that's another topic. I have my doubts about this.

Rick's lists the same stator for 1979-83 GS850s, yet Electrosport claims that putting an 18 pole stator on the earlier bikes with a 12 pole stator won't work at all.

The stator from a 1979 GS850 should work.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

diameter and width need to be exact for your rotor unit. who cares about pole count.

I say have your burned unit RE-wound at ricks motorsport electrics.

1 year warranty and better wire for more AC output.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I have a stator from an early 550 that's the same as your 750 according to Electrosports. Sent you a PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ebay has RM Stators for most GS models. I recently replaced mine with one. They run about $110. RMstators claims there's have a higher output than stock.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                A GS500 stator would work in an 80+ 850G, but not in the earlier 750 or 850, which supposedly require the 12 pole stator.

Exactly why they require a 12 pole stator has never been explained to me, but that's another topic. I have my doubts about this.
                The 12-pole stator has three phases, each has four windings. The matching stator has four magnets.
                The 18-pole stator has three phases, each has six windings. The matching stator has six magnets.
                If the number of magnets does not match up with the number of windings, your output will be reduced.

You can do a quick check of a rotor to count magnets by passing a screwdriver around the inside.
                The screwdriver will be attracted at each pole (north and south) of each magnet, so you will find either 8 or 12 attraction spots.

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                diameter and width need to be exact for your rotor unit. who cares about pole count.
                Pole count is only necessary if you need electrical output. See above.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The reason you need the right number of magnets is because each winding is generating AC power, and the phases of the AC have to be kept aligned for the power to add up properly. This can only happen if you have as many magnets as windings for each phase.

For example, two windings generating 10W that are in phase will produce 20W, but if they are 180 degrees out of phase, the windings will cancel each other out, and you get 0W. If they're 90 degrees out of phase, you get something like 14W.

Comment

Do a search on Denniskirk.com and click the button for list all models this fits. This will give you a good cross reference. I bought a Kawasaki stator off an 80 KZ 550 with very low miles off Fleabay. Looked brand new and works great. Lots of buy it nows for Kawa parts CHEAP!
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X