What have I got

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I got

Just bought a GSX 1100 I think its an ET. It was imported in 91 and was given a 80 reg it has a frame number GS110X505497 and an engine number GS110X107386. I think the engine is from a later bike as I having problems getting parts for a 80/81 model to fit. It runs well but the charging systems dodgy, bought a new generator for a 1980 GSX 1100 but is about 3mm to big
    Any Idea what I've got ????????

I`m not really up on the year model #`s but I do know that in 1983 on the 1100 suzuki that they did go to the big end on the crankshaft at the rotor. The 1150 engine uses the same end also. I assume that you have a 82 or older engine with the smaller crank end.

Comment

The generators (the stator actually) between the 82 and 83 1100 are the same (I just did a swap between mine). The cranks do have a larger left end in 83 so the magnetic rotors are different on the ID of the mounting hole but are otherwise the same, i.e the IDs that sit around the stator is the same.
      However the 82 Katana 1100 engine uses a smaller diameter generator then a 1100E of the same year. So you may have a Kat motor.
      What's the outside diameter of your old and new stators? Are they otherwise the same, mounting, wiring, ect...?

Comment

Thanks Pete

The gen ( thought the stator what the bit what moved ) on mine is 100mm the standard for a 80E is 103mm. wiring is the same three wires.
        I think your correct it probably is a 82 Kat engine it just that I have been told that the the 1100 Kat and the 1100E are the same

Keith S

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Scrimgeour
          it just that I have been told that the the 1100 Kat and the 1100E are the same

Keith S
          Think they mostly are the same, but Suzuki did decrease the size of the generator to lower the amount of rotating mass. Dink can speak better to this (most of the info I passed along came from him).

Can you post some pics of the engine?

And yeah, somebody out there, which piece is generally called the stator, the magnet or the wire coils

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Scrimgeour
            it just that I have been told that the the 1100 Kat and the 1100E are the same

Keith S
            Think they mostly are the same, but Suzuki did decrease the size of the generator to lower the amount of rotating mass. Dink can speak better to this (most of the info I passed along came from him).

Can you post some pics of the engine?

And yeah, somebody out there, which piece is generally called the stator, the magnet or the wire coils

Comment

The magnetic bit, which "rot"-ates is called the rotor, and the wire coils, which remain "stat"-ic are called the stator! (Keep up at the back)

Comment

Keith, I thought the Kat generator was the same too, but that the 1000cc Katana had the smaller generator. Maybe you should check you haven't got Kat 1000 bits in there?

Comment

I have an 85 1150 and an 82 Kat 1100 and there is a large difference in the sizes of the rotors on the 1150 you can barely see the starter gear, whereas on the Katana you can see it easily as it shows around the rotor clearly.
                  Dink

Comment

Working...
                  X