Some Good News, Some Bad, Now I'm Really Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Good News, Some Bad, Now I'm Really Confused

As stated in my other thread I was having some electrical issues. I cleaned a bunch of connections and changed out some of the connectors. It would appear that is somewhat sorted out. So I go to try to start the thing again. Won't start so I check for spark, I get spark on 1 and 4 (Couldn't really tell how good of spark it was I was doing it in the driveway in the sun). 2 and 3 no spark. I figure the 2 and 3 coil is bad (spark plug wires are in bad shape also, since they are integrated into the coil I'm going to get a new one anyway).

I got a compression tester the other day so I decided to go ahead and test the compression so going 4-1 I get 115-115-120-90. The number 1 cylinder is the only one I put new rings on when I had the engine apart since I bent a ring when I first tried to put it back together (I'm on a pretty low budget here). Anyway I'm a little unhappy about the low compression on #1.

Now here's where I'm getting confused. When I was taking the spark plugs out I was a little surprised that the plugs weren't wet with gas and I didn't smell any. Until I got to the number 1 cylinder (you know the one with the low compression and I would presume low vacuum as well). To further confuse me I notice the #1 exhaust is warm so that one is actually firing. The three others are cold.

In the process I took the carbs apart and soaked them, new o-rings and new o-rings on the intake boots. I did the same procedure on each carb, except, I could not get the pilot jets out in #2-#4, however, I sprayed carb cleaner up through them and it came out in the carb throat (is that correct terminology?). As I'm typing this I'm thinking maybe I just answered my own question as I just recalled the issue with the pilot jets. Although, even if I fully open the throttle I'm not getting any gas in the 2-4 cylinders.

Anyway, I'm confused as to what to do next, other than get a new coil, which will only solve one problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

You might want to switch the coils around and see if the good spark follows the coil. If so, the coil is bad (or maybe the plug caps/wires). If not, it could be the ignitor/wiring/signal generator.

One other thing regarding spark is to check voltage at your coils - if it's less than 9 volts, you might want to do the relay mod so you can get 12v. Also, the spark is sometimes hard to see in daylight, best to check in the shade or in a darkish garage.

BTW, I've got a couple of coils from an early 550 that you can have for shipping cost. The service manual lists the resistance pretty much the same for all the different years, regardless of points or electronic, so these should work if you want them.

Ed
    Last edited by Nessism; 12-13-2008, 05:07 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ness - sent you a PM

Comment

glstine,

Before you go to trouble/expence of getting another coil (they are not cheap), I would suggest you do two things:
        1) an ohm check on the coil.
        2) And check the spark plug caps. The caps are removeable and fail more than the coil. Well, actaully the caps dont fail, they degrade over time and usage, go to way high of ohms, are suppose to be 5K I think, if they degrade and go way high ohms like 20-30K or open, then you might think you have a bad coil. The caps are like 4 or 5 bucks each. They pull-twist off. The ones for 2 & 3 are longer and the ones for 1 & 4 are shorter.

Sunshine...?
        Working in driveway....?
        I have been shoveling in my driveway.
        SUnshine..... ?
        Oh, yah, we saw that for about 20 minutes one day last week.

Last edited by Redman; 12-13-2008, 06:20 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by glstine View Post
          The number 1 cylinder is the only one I put new rings on when I had the engine apart since I bent a ring when I first tried to put it back together (I'm on a pretty low budget here). Anyway I'm a little unhappy about the low compression on #1.
          If you just replaced the rings in that cylinder, it's quite possible that they are not seated yet, and compression would appear a bit low. Did you also do a wet compression test? If that brings the numbers up, I would not worry about it.

Originally posted by glstine View Post
          In the process I took the carbs apart and soaked them, new o-rings and new o-rings on the intake boots. I did the same procedure on each carb, except, I could not get the pilot jets out in #2-#4, however, I sprayed carb cleaner up through them and it came out in the carb throat ...
          How did you "soak the carbs"? Did you get ALL the jets and o-rings out besides the ones you admit that you could not get out? Also, how long did you "soak the carbs"? With the time that your bike has been not running, a proper "dip" in Berryman's Carb Cleaner should be about 24 hours. For each carb body and jets. Fortunately, there are no o-rings behind the pilot jets, but if you neglected to remove some of the other jets, you could still have blocked passages, and it might be crud or a partially-dissolved o-ring blocking them.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you check the valve clearances?

Comment

If you haven't broke in the #1 rings than I wouldn't worry about the compression till the rings seat. 90 is good cold w/out seating.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

@redman. We actually had snow here a couple of days ago, in Houston. Enough to actually stick on the ground. Of course it was in the 70's today.

I will try a wet compression test and see how that goes.

Carbs - I took all the other jets orings, etc... Out and soaked them in berrymans for a while, not 24 hrs though. Guess I will do it again and soak them 24 hrs this time. Oh what fun.

Comment

hmmm, did you hone the #1 cylinder that you replaced the rings on? Did you orient the rings correctly on the pistons?

Comment

Using a blackberry to look at this and it didn't seem to refresh the pages. Guess I won't worry to much abot the lower compression right now, I had just expected #1 to have higher compression. I honed all 4 cylinders and all valve clearances were checked and shimmed. Going to pull the carbs again and re-dip. Any advice on removing stuck pilot jets. I think I sheard off the screwdriver slots.

Comment

bad ground?

Comment

That is one thing I do use the Easy Out for. Drill the center of the pilot jet and use an Easy Out on it.
                        I usually call these Never Outs but I've had good luck with these with pilot jets.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          Did you check the valve clearances?
                          I totally agree with this from SqD.

When I got a 90psi on one cyl. having all the valves adjusted for the first time in years put all cylinders up at 120+.

Comment

All valve clearances are within .03 and .08. I also lapped the valves and honed. I'm hoping the low compression is due to the rings not being seated as stated by others, so I'll give it some time (How long should it take?). I did pull the carbs and am re-soaking them now since I didn't do them for near 24 hours last time.

Comment

Working...
                            X