Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What bad thing just happened?

82 GS1100G

The last time I rode was about 3 weeks ago. I finished up by filling the tank and putting the battery tender on it.

This afternoon, I went out to ride. Had an unusually hard time starting it, followed by a huge cloud of white smoke. I turned it off, and a gas/oil mixture came gushing out of the airbox and down the engine. It looks like maybe 1 1/2 gallons has disappeared from my tank, mixed with the oil, and got blown through the pistons into the airbox.

What happened? I put on a rebuilt petcock about 3 months ago. Is it likely the culprit, along with stuck floats? How badly could my engine be screwed? This event took about 15 seconds.

Get a new petcock and change your oil. Don't ride it with gas in the oil.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jhantke View Post
      I put on a rebuilt petcock about 3 months ago. Is it likely the culprit, along with stuck floats? How badly could my engine be screwed? This event took about 15 seconds.
      You'll probably be OK. Needle seats or petcock. Did you leave it on pri ? You got an unscheduled engine flush. Change the oil and try some seafoam in the gas to loosen up those needle seats..
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

No permanant damage, just change the oil. Replace the petcock- unless you left it on prime ??? May need to clean/ replace the float needles & O ring on the needle seat

Comment

I figured out the don't ride it with gas in the oil part. But, what's the likelihood that the engine has been damaged?

And, other than making sure the airbox/filters are cleaned, the oil/filter are changed, and the spark plugs are cleaned, and the petcock is replaced, am I likely "safe enough" to start it up?

Comment

Left it on prime? Naw, I wouldn't have done something so stupid.....I'd better go check.

Comment

Originally posted by jhantke View Post
              I figured out the don't ride it with gas in the oil part. But, what's the likelihood that the engine has been damaged?

And, other than making sure the airbox/filters are cleaned, the oil/filter are changed, and the spark plugs are cleaned, and the petcock is replaced, am I likely "safe enough" to start it up?
              I doubt you have damaged engine with short start up. One thing I would do before starting is pull the sparkplugs and spin over engine to be sure cylinder is not filled with gas. Don't be too surprised if you have a "gusher".

Most likely, the repaired petcock needs replaced, not a lot of people have had success rebuilding them.

Comment

Well, I hadn't left it on prime. So, I'll replace the petcock.

Comment

Yeah, this has only happened to about everybody here. Usually only once and you won't do it again!

I personally am in the habit of shutting my (new) pingel petcock off 1/4 mi. from home and coasting in.

Comment

no damage just messy . what you have is temperature related.

every thing may be just fine in normal temperatures. freezing does shrink everything solid.
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Hey Jeff, did you have any luck with offing the Buell? Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                        I doubt you have damaged engine with short start up. One thing I would do before starting is pull the sparkplugs and spin over engine to be sure cylinder is not filled with gas. Don't be too surprised if you have a "gusher".

Most likely, the repaired petcock needs replaced, not a lot of people have had success rebuilding them.
                        Make sure to completely remove the plugs and move the leads away from the open hole, you don't need a spark while you are purging the cylinders!

Comment

Working...
                        X