Polycarbonate Wind Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polycarbonate Wind Fairing

Posted this in the Appearance section just wanted to let those know who may need to make their own windscreen/fairing, inexpensively.

Work in progress, let me know what you think.

Different.

Interesting.

Going for the 'street fighter' look?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just wanted something a little different, and being flat lexan it's easier than trying to vac form it.

A simpler frame is easy enough to make but i've been wanting to do something with shell casings ever since I saw Jessie James years ago using 45 caliber shells on his chopper risers.

I did want a slightly more aggressive look though. (lol)
      Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2008, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Update/fairing mounted.

Wanted to update this thread to show the fairing mounted. Still need to paint the allen head bolts and install the lower cover.

Click my signature to see the shell casings after polish and clear coat.

Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

That came out pretty nice. Did you consider trying to mold it in some way and just decided not too? I've heard Lexan is easy to mold. I've never done it though. I like it, it looks good. It looks like you could use that cross-brace under the windshield to mount a radar detector or something if you wanted to. How is in the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
            That came out pretty nice. Did you consider trying to mold it in some way and just decided not too? I've heard Lexan is easy to mold. I've never done it though. I like it, it looks good. It looks like you could use that cross-brace under the windshield to mount a radar detector or something if you wanted to. How is in the wind?
            Thank you,

1-Lexan must be pre heated to eliminate the high water content, which is why when you heat it to forming temperature it creates a frosted haze and is rendered usless.

1a-Because of this you need a vac forming oven where you can pre-heat the material then bring it up to forming temp then lay it over the mold and pull the air out. So this process is great for a more complicated windscreen that requires more compound curves.

2-Acrylic can be vac formed with ease however it cracks too easily for street use which is why i went with the lexan.

3-The cross brace is intentional because as you said i plan on mounting accessories and it was very convenient, when covered by the abs cover it will still remain relatively stock, hide the detector and any outlets i put in.

4-In the end it was a cool project that came out better than expected for less than $30.00 and it's custom i think it's a good stop gap measure for those who don't want to shell out over $100.00 for some plastic.

5- Took the bike out to test it and it worked fine, got to 60 MPH without all the wind beating from before. It's not intended to be a Windjammer fairing but it does the same job as a stock one for this model for 1/3 the cost. Cheaper if you don't take any artistic license!

Comment

Update windscreen mounted

Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinions and comments, this shot shows the angle of the windscreen more clearly for those interested in doing something similiar.

Comment

Working...
              X