softening up intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

softening up intake boots

i know this sounds like a long shot .pulled off the intake boots on my gs 850 to replace the o rings boots are fine no cracks but they are harder then i would like is there anyway to soften them up a bit. the factory clmps dont tighten up all the way so im gonna replace them with band clamps .i have a few days to soak them or do anything i need to any suggestions would be appriciated thanks

A heater or a heat gun will do, just dont melt them

Comment

I've tried damn near everything. Boiled 'em, lubed 'em, and ended up getting new ones. I guess it depends on how old they are, but I know mine have stiffened substantially over the course of the year.

Comment

Apply $$ with a Visa or Mastercard and buy new ones.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Apply $$ with a Visa or Mastercard and buy new ones.
          There's definately a point where they just get TOO hard.

Buying new ones will save you hours of heartache, bad running and taking your carbs off multiple times. Then, if you waste all those hours, you'll have to buy new ones.

How much is your time worth? Follow BWringers advice.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've heard that soaking them in the waterproofing solution sold for proofing tents works wonders.... never tried it.

I they are the same as the ones on the 1000G I have some that will work for you, 2 of them are pretty much like new, 2 of them have a hard spot but they seal ok etc.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just buy new ones.

Peer pressure.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Not only do they get hard over time, but, they shrink too. Here's mine, old vs. new. +1 on getting new ones. It makes it much easier to install the carbs and airboxes.

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

What LarryD said. A bad seal makes for inconsistent (too lean) mixture. Replacing my horn boots made a HUGE difference in my 250's running.
                  Mark Fisher
                  sigpic
                  ..............................27 years

Comment

Alright. I'm realizing I have little choice with this as well. So since we've all agree on getting new boots, where is a good place to purchase these things online? As an add on (and to hijack the thread ), where is a good place to buy things like brake pads and common things? Is there a good site for most stuff? -nick

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
                      Alright. I'm realizing I have little choice with this as well. So since we've all agree on getting new boots, where is a good place to purchase these things online? As an add on (and to hijack the thread ), where is a good place to buy things like brake pads and common things? Is there a good site for most stuff? -nick

Don't fret....it only hurts the wallet a little. May want to get new boot clamps too, if yours are bent up at all. It's one of those "might as well" purchases.

Brake pads are commonly found on ebay. I get most of my things from BikeBandit. Really, I look around at a bunch of different parts sites and see who's the least expensive including shipping. They just seem to be as good as any other.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Check the Links page

Bikebandit, Z1 Enterprises, Dennis kirk, etc
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

update

soaked the boots in hot soapy water much more pliable. the unfortunate part is i ordered the orings for the carb and intake from mrroberts orings on here two of the intake orings were wrong so hopefully i can find a suzuki dealership around with them tomorrow and pick up some allen head bolts for the intakes

Comment

Originally posted by cutlass79500 View Post
                            soaked the boots in hot soapy water much more pliable. the unfortunate part is i ordered the orings for the carb and intake from mrroberts orings on here two of the intake orings were wrong so hopefully i can find a suzuki dealership around with them tomorrow and pick up some allen head bolts for the intakes

I'm sure if you pm him, he would happily exchange them for the correct ones.

The allen head bolts may be found at a Ace Hardware or other mom and pop type hardware store. The larger national stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc, don't seem to carry metric socket heads.

If you can't find them anywhere go to McMaster-Carr, they'll have 'em. Great service and very quick delivery.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                              I'm sure if you pm him, he would happily exchange them for the correct ones.

The allen head bolts may be found at a Ace Hardware or other mom and pop type hardware store. The larger national stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc, don't seem to carry metric socket heads.

If you can't find them anywhere go to McMaster-Carr, they'll have 'em. Great service and very quick delivery.
                              thanks guy im lucky with allen bolts my lowes store has them they have a big selection . i wrote him yesterday he never returned my email he might not be in town or not at his shop im not sure you can see how close they are

Comment

Working...
                              X