1100G vs 1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100G vs 1100GK

Does anyone know if the frame for an '82 GS1100G would be the same as an '82 GS1100GK? To convert a GK in to a G, what do I need to do?

I think I need to put on a headlight mount, the light and turn signals. Maybe something to mount the instruments. Do I need to do anything other than take the cases off in the back?

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
    Does anyone know if the frame for an '82 GS1100G would be the same as an '82 GS1100GK? To convert a GK in to a G, what do I need to do?

I think I need to put on a headlight mount, the light and turn signals. Maybe something to mount the instruments. Do I need to do anything other than take the cases off in the back?
    "G's" and "GK's" are essentially the same EXCEPT that the GK has frame brackets that are welded on to attach the OEM fairing. If you wanted to put a Vetter on it you might have to grind off those brackets. Also, the GK has a different fork setup (slightly wider and thicker forks) so pieces designed to fit a "G" fork might need to be modified to fit a stripped GK.

Other than that I think they're basically the same.

Regards,

Comment

Yes, GK frame is pretty much the same a G frame. The GK frame will have a couple extra gussetts and mounting plates/holes for this and that.

To convert a GK to a G .... after you take off all the GK related stuff, you will pretty much have a G without a headlight and without turn signals. So you might think that you could just get a headlight from a G.....
      I understand that the problem you will have is that a G (or GL) headlight and mounting brackets will not fit. THis is because the GK front forks are bigger diameter and are spaced further apart. So what you have to do is get some generic headlight and somehow frabricate some mounting. I have heard others mention this. What I do know myself from first hand experince is that the GK front fender is about an inch wider than a G fender.

<<< later note.
      Ah, Steve PlaneCrazy got in there while is was typing.
      Last edited by Redman; 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Make sure you don't junk the GK bits. There'll be someone on here that will be able to use them I'm sure.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
          "G's" and "GK's" are essentially the same EXCEPT that the GK has frame brackets that are welded on to attach the OEM fairing. If you wanted to put a Vetter on it you might have to grind off those brackets. Also, the GK has a different fork setup (slightly wider and thicker forks) so pieces designed to fit a "G" fork might need to be modified to fit a stripped GK.

Other than that I think they're basically the same.

Regards,
          Didn't expect the forks to be different.

Thanks, guys. That's exactly what I needed to know.

With your help I am now the proud owner of a 1982 GS1100GK with all the hardware. Now I gotta figure out what I'm doing with it.

Comment

Well, just between you and me I'd keep the GK stuff on the bike and enjoy it! They are getting rare and stripping it down eliminates the "uniqueness." If you REALLY want a "G" model you'd be better off waiting until the right one comes along and then selling the "GK." for more than the "G" will cost you (assuming they're in similar condition).

One other thing ... As you can see from my signature I have both. I think I'm going to keep the "GK" and sell the "G," although I've enjoyed the "G" for a number of years now. Even with all the boxes and fairings mounted the bike performs VERY well, and I have no trouble keeping up with the sportier "E" models in the twisties (any of the regulars I do the GSR rallies with will attest to this). So if you're planning to remove the accessories because you think the performance will be better, don't bother ... the bike will perform VERY nicely fully dressed!

If you lived closer to me we could consider a "trade," except for the fact that I already have a "GK" project and eventually I want to wind up with only one bike in the garage ... so trading my "G" for another "GK" doesn't exactly move me toward that goal, hehe!!

Regards,
            Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Not that it makes much difference, but as I recall, doesn't the GK have different rear end gearing? Or is that only on certain year bikes...

Comment

I would recommend keeping it as a GK through the winter anyway. It gets chilly enough in your area. That big ol' fairing will have you out riding on days you probably wouldn't on a naked bike. If you do decide to strip it I have a set of headlight ears for those bigger forks still in the box that I can make you a good deal on.
                Last edited by dpep; 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post
                  Not that it makes much difference, but as I recall, doesn't the GK have different rear end gearing? Or is that only on certain year bikes...
                  the 83 has a bit longer legs to lower the cruising RPM some.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                    Well, just between you and me I'd keep the GK stuff on the bike and enjoy it! They are getting rare and stripping it down eliminates the "uniqueness." If you REALLY want a "G" model you'd be better off waiting until the right one comes along and then selling the "GK." for more than the "G" will cost you (assuming they're in similar condition).

Regards,
                    yeah...the point wasn't to improve performance. You may notice from my signature I also already own a "G". There's also a V-Strom in the mix so I have all the 'GO' I need. In fact I really like the G a lot, so I was planning to use the two to make a 'best of' motorcycle and then use all the parts with rust or corrosion to make a 'worst of' and then sell it for the price of both. They were cheap, so I'm pretty sure I can make money on the deal and own a free bike. I've got a total investment of less than $1000 in both.

With the advice I'm getting here that plan is rapidly changing. I may keep both and just keep knocking rust off the worst of the two. I might also consider doing a simi-annual switch-out. Add farings as the weather gets colder and bags when I need a long trip. Possiblities are endless.

Comment

As a matter of fact I think I saw the "G" listing in your sig and my mind registered it as the "GK," so the fact that you have both didn't register...

Enjoy!

Comment

Me too

I also am going this route, converting (sort of) my GK to a G. I will keep all the luggage, just do some mods to make it easier to take on/off, and find a smaller fairing than the stock one. The stock fairing had a mouse nest the size of Newfoundland in it, and stinks to high heaven of mouse p*ss. I can barely go near it, and I don't like the shape of it anyways.
                        I had a stock 1100G in years past with a Hannigan fairing, and it worked well as far as I could tell. Looked like the Batcycle. Might try to find one of those again.

Comment

Working...
                        X