Help - Need Good Photo of 1979 GS850 Emissions Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Need Good Photo of 1979 GS850 Emissions Label

I need to register my 1979 GS850 in CA - All the DMV cares about is if there is a valid Emissions Sticker on the bike - my sticker is mostly destroyed, only bits remain. Can anyone provide a good picture of their GS850 Emissions label so I can see what is on it? Does anyone know if the VIN number is on it? If not, I could buy a new inner rear fender that has a sticker...Thanks in advance!

Hi Mr. sling42,

I don't recall going through that hassle when I bought and registered my bike. I'll see what I can find for you when I get home. I've got a 1980 GS850. Is that close enough?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the help - 1980 should be close enough. The bike has never been registered in CA and there is no record at the DMV of the last title holder. I can apply for a new title, but a valid emissions label is required for the inspection. I am currently networking my friends to see if anyone knows a peace officer authorized to do inspections rather than drag the bike down to the DMV!!

I've read other forums that cover these registration issues - and it seem that common that CA DMV workers have no idea what the rules are for these older bikes, so will say anything to get out of giving a title/registration. If anyone has any advice on CA registration issues I would be greateful!

Comment

I don't recall if my 79GS850 had one? Was never asked when I reg it.. Try another DMV employee The emission sticker only applies to newer bikes & the 11 diget vin will puzzle them... THE vin # is not on the sticker
        Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Mr. sling42,

Here's a shot of the label on my bike. Let me know if you want the original picture file and I can email it to you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

On CA vehicles it will say something to the effect that the vehicle meets both federal AND CA emission standards. Not sure if this was a requirement on a 1979 motorcycle though.

When I bought my '82 850 from a guy in Arizona I was concern because the bike had less than 7500 miles which is the cut off for a "used" vehicle - anything less requires CA emissions. As it turns out my bike meets both standards - as referenced by the emissions sticker. Took the bike to AAA to register it and the guy didn't even look at the emissions label - he said they are not concern about it since the vehicle is so old. At any rate, as long as the bike is over the mileage threshold you shouldn't have an issue registering it either way.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks all for the great info! I am feeling much more confident about getting registered...I'll post an update when I'm on the road.

Comment

as noted in the PIC the EPA rule was 1980 and later.
                They speak of a finer or more precisely machined set of jets amongst other things int he manual for my bike.

You would think DMV would have a database of this information
                besides the sticker doenst mean much unless they are actually doing an emissions test how can they know what mods you have done?

sweet bureaucracy........

Comment

Went & checked! My 79 does have the sticker. Looks like BaseCliff posting but says 79 no mention of Cal and I believe my 850 is original cal model... It shouldn't matter. I don't think their was a difference between Ca & federal on MC

Where are you located ??
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Cool - The little bits of sticker I have left look exactly like BikeCliff's as well, just not enough to know what it said! I am in San Diego - the bike has been sitting outside in a field for years until I picked it up last July. It was on a coworker's property - his house burned down in last years fire (Poway, CA) but miraculously the bike was left untouched. He was cleaning up the rubble and said I could have the bike if I came and got it. I haven't had a good project in years - so I took him up on it! The bike is now in registerable condition, but there's lots of little things left to do...

Comment

Originally posted by sling42 View Post
                      Cool - The little bits of sticker I have left look exactly like BikeCliff's as well, just not enough to know what it said! I am in San Diego - the bike has been sitting outside in a field for years until I picked it up last July. It was on a coworker's property - his house burned down in last years fire (Poway, CA) but miraculously the bike was left untouched. He was cleaning up the rubble and said I could have the bike if I came and got it. I haven't had a good project in years - so I took him up on it! The bike is now in registerable condition, but there's lots of little things left to do...
                      Out in a field... isn't it odd where people will leave vehicles when they dont have a use for them anymore? Before i bought my project 250 it was sitting under a tarp in the side walkway beside someones house for a couple of years. They had the bright idea of restoring it and bought it off someone that left it in the open for a few years as well. The previous owners didn't get very far though (i think too many beers were drunk while "planning" instead of "doing" ), they only got as far as redoing the forks before it went into the "too hard" basket and i got it for a steal off ebay

Comment

Originally posted by mike-s View Post
                        Out in a field... isn't it odd where people will leave vehicles when they dont have a use for them anymore? Before i bought my project 250 it was sitting under a tarp in the side walkway beside someones house for a couple of years. They had the bright idea of restoring it and bought it off someone that left it in the open for a few years as well. The previous owners didn't get very far though (i think too many beers were drunk while "planning" instead of "doing" ), they only got as far as redoing the forks before it went into the "too hard" basket and i got it for a steal off ebay

You should likely check your jusisdiction rules on valuations and taxation on transfer.

If you get taxed on the bike in its state after making it like new you will pay far more than for a non running piece of junk...

Comment

Working...
                        X