Busted off Exhaust Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted off Exhaust Bolts

I busted off all 4 exhaust bolts while removing the head from my GS450... I've also got a valve-cover bolt busted off in the head...

There's about 1/4-1/8in of bolt protruding from the head in each case... Not much, certainly not enough to get a visegrips on...

I've half a mind to just pay someone to get them out...

I'm thinking I should take it to the local specialty-exhaust-repair/muffler shop, unless you have any suggestions...

Any comments??? Ideas as to how to get them out, or what kind of shop to take the head to for 'professional' removal???

I tried using 'liquid wrench', but haven't tried PB blaster or some other penatrating oil... Don't think it would make a difference... Also, this whole deal is related to my cam-timing getting screwed up, so I couldn't heat up the block by running the motor, as the motor doesn't run...

You might try heating the bolt with propane torch, give it a wack with flat nose punch, and then try to remove it. Other wise center punch the remainder of the bolt and drill it out, start with a small drill and work up in size until you have most of the bolt drilled WITHOUT going into the threads and then try easyout

Comment

This seems to be a very common problem with the GS450.
      I have a spare engine that I removed from a parts bike. When I removed the exhaust, 3 of the 4 bolts sheared off (even after applying PB blaster and letting it sit all night).
      So, I decided to bite the bullet and drill/tap/helicoil the 3 bolts. It worked out fairly well, though one of the resulting holes was off-center enough that it required widening the hole of the exhaust clamp (just a bit) to accomodate it.
      If you've never done the drill/tap/helicoil routine, then I strongly suggest practicing on something else before working on the head. The key to success is getting that initial small hole perfectly centered (or nearly so). After that it's fairly straightforward.

Comment

When you get it sorted, put a little copper grease (anti seize compound) on the threads. They'll be easy to remove next time.

Comment

I wouldn't take it to a muffler shop, they only use torches and hammers.

Steve

Comment

I saw some new screw out kits at sears.

I saw some new screw out kits at sears. They are more heavy duty than the ez outs. They have the drill bit on the end already for you. I would pre drill first though. the heating and whacking Idea sounds like a good starting point as well. If I knew of someplace that could do it for me I would gladly pay for it. Start drilling on it yourself and your bound to get something crooked or off center.

Comment

Took it to a local bike shop...

I'll see what they can do (the mechanic intends to try the weld-a-bolt-head routine)...

Comment

Took it to a local bike shop...

I'll see what they can do (the mechanic intends to try the weld-a-bolt-head routine)...

Comment

I was worried about mine as well, I have to remove my exhaust to remove my back tire. I soaked them in penatrating oil for hours and resoaked them before I put them back on. So far they are doing well. I will look into that other anti-seize though for sure. Find it at auto-parts places?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X