Valve cover/gasket differences early 650g's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover/gasket differences early 650g's

Lookin' for a little knowledge about the differences I see in the on-line parts diagrams. My bike's vin ends in 2102831, and from the Babbitt's page, (which looks the same as all the rest), there is a break between VIN or, as they say, frame #,103560 to 103561. I'm assuming I have a fairly early model, then, since it's substantially below 3560. I've almost got a decent, well-lit space to work on the bike that I can keep warm enough during the coldest months here in Maine, and valve adjustment is the first priority, and I've ordered the shim tool. BUT- need a new valve cover and breather cover gasket. Would love to get a New Gasket silicone gasket, but am wondering if that's available. What's the differences, anyhow. I've
    done this job before, 20+ years ago, on my 750 'C', But I LOVE BassCliff's pix and procedure run-through, gives me a great deal of optimism as to how this is gonna turn out
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

I was not aware of the differences on the 650, but on the 850, they added three bolts near the center of the valve cover, one in front, two in the rear. Yours might be similar.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
      Lookin' for a little knowledge about the differences I see in the on-line parts diagrams. My bike's vin ends in 2102831, and from the Babbitt's page, (which looks the same as all the rest), there is a break between VIN or, as they say, frame #,103560 to 103561. I'm assuming I have a fairly early model, then, since it's substantially below 3560. I've almost got a decent, well-lit space to work on the bike that I can keep warm enough during the coldest months here in Maine, and valve adjustment is the first priority, and I've ordered the shim tool. BUT- need a new valve cover and breather cover gasket. Would love to get a New Gasket silicone gasket, but am wondering if that's available. What's the differences, anyhow. I've
      done this job before, 20+ years ago, on my 750 'C', But I LOVE BassCliff's pix and procedure run-through, gives me a great deal of optimism as to how this is gonna turn out
      Yeah, lookin' a little more carefully at the diagram, I see my rig has 16 bolts, the later has 17, and, looking at the gasket list from Realgaskets, the breather gasket is the same between the frame #'s in question, in fact, the same format as the 550 series (-47000)

Comment

Yeah, lookin' a little more carefully at the diagram, I see my rig has 16 bolts, the later has 17, and, looking at the gasket list from Realgaskets, the breather gasket is the same between the frame #'s in question, in fact, the same format as the 550 series (-47000)
        Yes you are right. The later 650 head had an extra bolt at the front of the cam chain tunnel. I have both an early and late 650 head but do not know the engine numbers that each came with as this is stamped on the crankcases.

Comment

I would suggest using a stock or oem replacement gasket, not the real gasket at least for the valve cover. Others have had trouble with tach drive not working properly due to the difference in thickness of the real gasket compared with the factory gasket. Just my thoughts, not gospel.

Comment

Interesting- I see also from minimized a/b comparisons of the two diagram choices in question that there may be enough material in the later gasket to just cut off the extra extrusion for the later bolt and call it good-fingers crossed-any feedback on that idea?

Comment

Interesting- I see also from minimized a/b comparisons of the two diagram choices in question that there may be enough material in the later gasket to just cut off the extra extrusion for the later bolt and call it good-fingers crossed-any feedback on that idea?
              Why would you bother. Just buy the correct gasket. All 8V GS550 rocker gaskets will fit the early 16 bolt head.

Comment

Sorry, but this won't work. In addition to the extra bolt on the front, the two bolts that flank it are spaced differently. I don't think I have one to take a picture of without digging into a parts box in my 20 degree garage.

I have to agree with Don, determine which engine you have and purchase the correct one for it. Occasionally, you will see one listed on Ebay but usually without a clear enough picture to determine which model it fits.

Comment

I've no reason to doubt you, mate, it's just that no diagram available to me at this time shows no interchange between -47001 and -34200, although, interestingly enough, the (up to) VIN # 6932 on the 'E' model is the same as the early 'G'. It sounds like you've used a 550 gasket on your early 'G', if that's what you have, have had. Cheers, indeed, Ken

Comment

I've no reason to doubt you, mate, it's just that no diagram available to me at this time shows no interchange between -47001 and -34200, although, interestingly enough, the (up to) VIN # 6932 on the 'E' model is the same as the early 'G'. It sounds like you've used a 550 gasket on your early 'G', if that's what you have, have had. Cheers, indeed, Ken
                    I think I need to clarify my statements. The later 650 valve cover gaskets with 17 bolts will not work on the older (1981) engines regardless of model. If I am reading the parts diagrams correctly, the breather gasket (*-47001) looks to be identical between all 650 engines as well as some 450 and 550 engines. In the 650s, I don't think there is any real difference in heads or rest of top end components between shaft or chain drives within same time period. Hope this makes sense, I do not have a way with words or anything else for that matter.

Comment

Reply to all and thanks- This was an old post, and this one thanks those who posted back originally, just wanted to let you all know I found the exact right one on Ebay yesterday- amazing. A 27-year old gasket still in original packaging.

Comment

Working...
                      X