GS1100E Fork Oil height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Fork Oil height?

I couldnt get a good answer by searching for this. Is the fork oil height on an 82 GS1100E's forks suppose to be 7.7 inches from the top with the forks compressed. I dont have a manual for this gs1100 since the forks are the only part of this on my bike. I fully rebuilt the forks by passing anti-dive and put in race tech emulators and progressive springs. I will be using 15 wt oil. Any knowledge would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.

what are emulators?

Comment

7.7 inches from the top with the forks compressed

I don't have a manual but have seen these numbers on here before ..

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
        what are emulators?

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
          what are emulators?
          $169. I hope thats a pair. Are they really worth it ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

With the Progressive springs, the directions IIRC call for using the factory manual height, as long as the oil is no higher than 5.5" from the top. I used a syringe type tool set at 6.5" from the top and sucked out the excess. Also used 15 wt oil, and the ride is firmer than stock, though not harsh by any means.
            I didn't use emulators....I know some here speak highly of that mod, but I guess it depends on how you ride.....with the Progressive springs, I'm running Fox shocks, and since then have never felt that the suspension on my bike is the limiting factor, so I doubt I will mess with it more. I do enjoy corners, but don't sharpen the pegs at 90 mph either.

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Spring out, forks compressed

Comment

You are correct on your statement. 7.7 inches, NO spring, fork compressed. Ray.

Comment

What's the difference between 10W and 15W fork oil. I bought 15W and was told to use 10W. He stated the 15W would make the front end too stiff.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    $169. I hope thats a pair. Are they really worth it ?
                    I'll soon find out.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      What's the difference between 10W and 15W fork oil. I bought 15W and was told to use 10W. He stated the 15W would make the front end too stiff.
                      Bill, for ANYONE your size I would put no LESS than 15 wt. I've even gone 20 wt for some bigger guys. Ray.

Comment

Didn't the emulators come with instructions?

The emulators might change the fork oil specs, so I'd go with their recommendations, if any.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Bill, for ANYONE your size I would put no LESS than 15 wt. I've even gone 20 wt for some bigger guys. Ray.

From the Racetech web site......

Q: What is the difference between raising the oil level and changing the viscosity?
                          A: Raising the oil level increases the compression ratio in the front fork and therefore changes the progressiveness of the spring forces. This has nothing to do with the damping (key point). Changing the oil viscosity changes the damping. Both the compression and the rebound. The spring forces are sensitive to position in other words where it is in the travel while damping forces only care how fast the damper is moving.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

On my GS1100ED

I did:
                            progressive springs
                            no spacers
                            15 wt oil
                            stock oil height setting
                            no change to factory emulator settings (racetech)
                            anti-dive block offs (but emulators eliminate that anyway).

All is good, even excellent. for my weight at 200 lbs and Chef at 350 lbs.

pos

Comment

I also cut my springs about a 1/2 inch to compensate for the emulator. Its seemed like alot of preload without the cutting. But I always have the adjustment also. Ill probably put them together this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X