Chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain question

I am trying to find out how many links of chain I need. I measured around the sprockets I came up with 95" how many 530 links would I need?

Everything you need to know about chain.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

95" / 0.625" = 152 links

Would help if you could give us model year and model of your bike and what size sprockets you're running, as that would give a more accurate number. you could always just get a long chain and cut links off to suit.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
      Everything you need to know about chain.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

95" / 0.625" = 152 links

Would help if you could give us model year and model of your bike and what size sprockets you're running, as that would give a more accurate number. you could always just get a long chain and cut links off to suit.

152 links in a roller chain?
      are you running a hay bale conveyor er sumthin? stretch limo? dragster?
      Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Call Z1 and talk to Jeff. A very helpful young man....

When I converted my 750 to a 530 chain, it had(has) 114 links.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          Call Z1 and talk to Jeff. A very helpful young man....

When I converted my 750 to a 530 chain, it had(has) 114 links.
          What size sprockets did you use?
          Any spacers required?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What are ya ridin'?

Why not just end the mystery and tell us what model you have???
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              What size sprockets did you use?
              Any spacers required?

Wow, I'm sorry. I've slept since then. I can't really recall right now. My brain short-circuits sometimes.

I think it is 18 front, 45 rear, 114 links and there was a spacer. The chain guard is a little off now, but it's okay enough.

I really should know what is on my bike......

Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I am building a hillclimber, it's a 78 GS1000 engine put into a half and half frame. Front half is gs1000 the back half of the frame is 1997 cr500.http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...1017081715.jpg. My goal is to have it together by spring.

Comment

Hi Mr. atherts01,

Wow! That's quite an ambitious project! I'm very impressed. It seems that if you can get enough traction, you should be able to climb the Matterhorn!

Please keep us informed and keep the pictures coming. It looks great so far. I don't think I've ever seen a large inline 4 used on a dirt bike. That should be a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I haven't figured out what sprockets I am going to use yet. I was told by the old owner of the engine that he ran a 16 in the front and and 55 in the rear but that was running 630 chain.

Comment

Originally posted by atherts01 View Post
                      I haven't figured out what sprockets I am going to use yet. I was told by the old owner of the engine that he ran a 16 in the front and and 55 in the rear but that was running 630 chain.
                      Seriously, call Jeff at Z1. He's done hundreds of chain conversions and can advise you what to get so you will be able to climb that baby anywhere you want to.....

Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by atherts01 View Post
                        I am building a hillclimber, it's a 78 GS1000 engine put into a half and half frame. Front half is gs1000 the back half of the frame is 1997 cr500.http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...1017081715.jpg. My goal is to have it together by spring.
                        This sounds ultra cool! And that pic looks very trick!

Now I want one...

Comment

Working...
                        X