Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broke tip off jet in carb body, any ideas to get it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke tip off jet in carb body, any ideas to get it out?

So I was rebuilding the carbs on my 78 750 and was at the last damn screw...and I screwed things up.

Long story short, the screw-in tapered jet that you screw in from the bottom of the carb, off the side of the bowls, it broke just the tip off in the carb body.

I don't see how I'm going to be able to get this thing out, any ideas?

Can you feel the tip sticking into the throat? If so, just use the flat blade of a screwdriver blade and push it back down. If not, you will have to find something small enough and strong enough to poke it back down. Be careful, though, that you don't enlarge the hole.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks bud.

I bent up a safety pin and tried forcing it out, but it's really stuck in there. I'm now attempting to swap in the body from a spare rack of carbs I've got; too bad these things aren't made to come apart very easily...

Comment

My first instinct is to ask if you own or have access to a compressor? Id be reluctant to use a pin at all, especially as the metal could be further damaged if you use a pin beyond lightly trying to dislodge it. Good luck!

btw how the heck did it snap off anyway?

Comment

90 degree machinists scribe is the weapon of choice.
          this is where you need to channel the talents of a dentist.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I've got a lot of tools, and access to even more; a compressor is definitely in my possession. What can I do to get it out? BTW, I've already scratched the inside up a bit with the needle, but nothing major since the brass piece is still stuck in and filling the hole.

Regarding how I broke it: I'm not quite sure. I had one broke off already in the carbs that came with the bike. I cleaned and rebuilt a spare rack, and the last screw in reassembling them was this jet, which I broke off. It either was already weakened from prior mishandling, it still had a sticky residue on it from being stored, or I may have thought that it was tight due to the new o-rings when it was really at the bottom. Can't say at this point. I can say, however, that I have a newfound hate for all things carburetor related.

trippivot - I'll have to give that a shot. Here's the thing: I can get something perpendicular positioned above the brass piece. Two things are working against me: The top of the brass is rounded, and nothing will 'catch' easy. Second, what do you do to force down on the tool to press out the brass piece? It's REALLY stuck, and a rounded needle bent up and pressed down with my finger and a flathead screwdriver is not working for me.

I have about got a full rack of carbs assembled, though; I pulled a good body from the spare rack and popped it in the set going in. We'll see how reassembly and installation goes....

Comment

Working...
            X