Idiot/Non-Mechanic in need of help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update..

Well guys, I wanted to give all of you an update...I still haven't been able to get the old gal running very well.. When I went out back the last time, I had one hell of a time even getting her started...and after she started, she wouldn't even think about idling..In fact, she really wouldn't even rev up very much...totally dependent on the choke..I backed the synch screws off just a bit, and she fired right up....and then died again..I got her started again, and she revved up very high, and then died...It's almost like she's not getting any fuel, unless she's being choked. I was trying to run it off of the tank, but finally went back to my external fuel tank,thus bypassing the petcock and I know that the gas is flowing...and I pulled one of the plugs...and it did seem a little bit dry...not terribly, but a little bit..

I wouldn't have thought that the synch screws would have had such a large bearing on whether she runs or not.. I thought that it might run a little rough, but at least run.. I did notice that the p.o. had removed the caps on the air screws...and I haven't touched them..

So, I guess it's just more trial and error unless someone can come up with another suggestion...and belive me, I'm all ears... We will get this thing running!!
    Thanks for your help,
    Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

Comment

start over

Originally posted by Chester Gunn View Post
      Well guys, I wanted to give all of you an update...I still haven't been able to get the old gal running very well.. When I went out back the last time, I had one hell of a time even getting her started...and after she started, she wouldn't even think about idling..In fact, she really wouldn't even rev up very much...totally dependent on the choke..I backed the synch screws off just a bit, and she fired right up....and then died again..I got her started again, and she revved up very high, and then died...It's almost like she's not getting any fuel, unless she's being choked. I was trying to run it off of the tank, but finally went back to my external fuel tank,thus bypassing the petcock and I know that the gas is flowing...and I pulled one of the plugs...and it did seem a little bit dry...not terribly, but a little bit..

I wouldn't have thought that the synch screws would have had such a large bearing on whether she runs or not.. I thought that it might run a little rough, but at least run.. I did notice that the p.o. had removed the caps on the air screws...and I haven't touched them..

So, I guess it's just more trial and error unless someone can come up with another suggestion...and belive me, I'm all ears... We will get this thing running!!
      Thanks for your help,
      Chester Gunn/Chula, GA
      Ok...start over from the beginning. It was running great, the suddenly the idle shot up to 4000rpm? Now it won't start? Is that right? There are a lot of possibilities. If you know the throttle cable isn't sticking then start with the carbs.

Take them off and make sure the float needles are all working properly. There is a possibility that the 'normal' idle was with three cylinders and when #4 fired up that was the increased RPM. Not likely, but possible. Once you know all 4 bowls are getting gas then make sure the needles/slides are not sticking. Clean them with carb cleaner and make sure they are sliding easily. Check the filter while you're there. Excess oil?

Under the float needles-you know you have to take the floats off to get at them-pull out the float needle valve assembly and make sure the screens are clean.

If you still are not having luck you will have to Remove the choke assembly and start to look at o-rings. There are rings in the float valve assembly, on the choke, and little tiny ones on the fuel/air screws. Once you replace all of these you've pretty much disassembled the entire carb. Refer to the carb rebuild guide on this website for details with pictures.

good luck.

did you check the petcock for normal operation? Make sure that's right.

Comment

Working...
      X