Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike stalls after the engine warms, takes about 15 min.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike stalls after the engine warms, takes about 15 min.

Hey, I am new here....but I will still try to preach my problem. O.k. I have a 1981 GS650G and it has 32K on it. I think that I am the 3rd owner of it. It is shaft driven and leaks no oil. I have not had any problems with it until now. The bike stalls out after it runs for about 15 minutes which is about how long it takes to get it really warmed up. I then proceed to push it to the curb and try to start it. It will not start. I then close the choke cable & it will start but will rev really high and when I start to open it the RPMs go down and then stalls out again. After about 10 minutes watching other bikes go by I try to start the bike and it runs fine untill it stalls15 minutes later...again). Please somebody help me...

Sitting on the curb,
    Clearsmoke

Re: Bike stalls after the engine warms, takes about 15 min.

You said "I have not had any problems with it until now" How many miles have you ridden it prior to having the problem. What, if any, work did you or a shop do to the bike between the time it was running fine and the time when the problems started?

Earl

Originally posted by clearsmoke
    Hey, I am new here....but I will still try to preach my problem. O.k. I have a 1981 GS650G and it has 32K on it. I think that I am the 3rd owner of it. It is shaft driven and leaks no oil. I have not had any problems with it until now. The bike stalls out after it runs for about 15 minutes which is about how long it takes to get it really warmed up. I then proceed to push it to the curb and try to start it. It will not start. I then close the choke cable & it will start but will rev really high and when I start to open it the RPMs go down and then stalls out again. After about 10 minutes watching other bikes go by I try to start the bike and it runs fine untill it stalls15 minutes later...again). Please somebody help me...

Sitting on the curb,
    Clearsmoke
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Sounds like you've pretty much got it narrowed down to a lack of fuel, based on the "choke trick". Is there an in-line filter/screen in the fuel system? Often times, blockage in a filter or screen will worsen as the vehicle is driven, then recover after some time. Is the gas cap sufficiently vented? Next time it happens, try removing the cap, (if you haven't already tried this). Also, are there any fuel supply lines in a non-stock position, leaving them close to the exhaust and causing a vapor-lock condition? Hope this gives you some ideas.

Comment

Gas flow seems to be o.k & I haven't worked on the bike since I got in march of this year. The guy who had it before me told me that he hadn't had it out on the road for about a year. It ran great for the first 60 miles that I put on it then it started to have problems. I had some biker guys at work tell me they think that it could be in the ignition coils. I looked at them today and saw tears in the spark plug wires up by the coils. so....does anyone know where a good place to get a new set of coils W/spark plug wires? It is a 1981 GS650G. Two coils, two wires per coil....if that helps. Thanks y'all for the replies!!!!

Comment

gearheadmn has the right idea, it sounds just like a clogged gas cap vent, or possibly semi clogged petcock screen.
          ride the bike till it cuts out and dies, immediately remove the gas cap and see if you hear a whoosh of air entering the gas cap as you pull it.
          if you do, the vent in the cap is clogged and will need cleaning.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. I have had the bike down for a few weeks now and When I refilled the tank I put in 89 octain instead of the 93 octain I put in before. I rode the bike for an hour and have not had any problems yet. I wonder if it could be the grade of gas. The manual suggest 89 or highr. So i am no longer on the curb. Thanks for all the help though!!1

Comment

Working...
            X