Quick brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick brake question

Are the brake/caliper assemblies the same on all the 550 models from '77 to '82? I have the .pdf shop manual for the 8v that has directions for the calipers front and rear... are they all the same? -nick

They changed design during this period on the fronts. However, on the 550E models they still fit (in the UK anyway) - just look different and have different pads etc. Might be different on the US 550L models.

The rear caliper stayed the same on the 8V models and was a standard part that fitted the 550 to 1000 range.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Good to hear. The rear is the one that needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned. I think the front just needs a new pad. Thanks! -nick

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
        Good to hear. The rear is the one that needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned. I think the front just needs a new pad. Thanks! -nick
        Do yourself a favor and tear down all your calipers. The brake fluid turns to chunks after a while and it's good to do a proper clean out. Very simple job which will assure everything is clean and also give you an opprotunity to lubricate the sliding caliper pins - an often overlooked task.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Plus, the "rebuild kit" is essentially that flat O ring the piston rides on
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Order the OEM rebuild kits from Suzuki -- they come complete with new pistons.

They're also usually cheaper than the low-quality aftermarket kits -- most aftermarket kits contain only low-rent copies of the proper seals and do not include pistons. And you almost always need new pistons, since they're usually badly rusted and pitted.

Guess how I learned all this... Go on, guess.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Order the OEM rebuild kits from Suzuki -- they come complete with new pistons.

They're also usually cheaper than the low-quality aftermarket kits -- most aftermarket kits contain only low-rent copies of the proper seals and do not include pistons. And you almost always need new pistons, since they're usually badly rusted and pitted.

Guess how I learned all this... Go on, guess.
              I'd certainly agree with this regarding the rubber bits - some I've seen have been only slightly better material than Chivers jelly! With the pistons though, if I can I get stainless - rust problem sorted for ever.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                I'd certainly agree with this regarding the rubber bits - some I've seen have been only slightly better material than Chivers jelly! With the pistons though, if I can I get stainless - rust problem sorted for ever.
                OK, where would you find stainless steel pistons for vintage brake calipers? I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Brian, I don't believe it - we've got something in the UK you haven't. That has to be a first
                  Good old Wemoto just down the road from me sell 'em. (Price is a bit steep mind).

The bonus bit is that their seal is ok though the boot is a once only fit (swells and won't fit in again once removed).
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    OK, where would you find stainless steel pistons for vintage brake calipers? I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.
                    I looked the other day and couldn't find any. Maybe in the UK, but none to be found in the US...that I could find anyway.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      Brian, I don't believe it - we've got something in the UK you haven't. That has to be a first
                      Good old Wemoto just down the road from me sell 'em. (Price is a bit steep mind).

The bonus bit is that their seal is ok though the boot is a once only fit (swells and won't fit in again once removed).
                      Cool! I live in Indianapolis, the motorsports capital of the world. (Indycar, NASCAR, drag racing, etc.) There are hundreds of little specialty shoppes for various racing bits and services in this town. Several Indycar and NASCAR race teams have their headquarters within a mile of my house.

The problem is that you have to know a guy who knows a guy who knows the secret password to find any of them. I bet there's a shop somewhere in Indy with a lathe and an old guy named "Earl" all set up to make stainless steel brake pistons in any size you want, but as a civilian I'd never find it in a million years.

Plus, an appalling percentage of the racing stuff here is still measured in inches instead of mm, but that's another rant for another day...

Of course, the UK has a motorsports industry every bit as active.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

FWIW, the OEM brake pistons for the '83-'86 GS550E/ES were superseded twice, but they are now stainless. They take about a month to get from Japan through any dealer. I had 8 pitted pistons and no good ones when I tore down 4 brake calipers.

Comment

Working...
                        X