Man, it's noisy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, it's noisy!!!

Many of you may have heard me complain that my engine is really noisy. It sounds like I have no oil in there, and that metal is rubbing on metal. I am somewhat convinced that I need to replace the cam chain guides. The motor has good, has consistant compression, and the head was just replaced last year with one from a sub 7000 mile engine. I tried the screwdriver trick to locate the noise- no way, it's too noisy. My questions are:

1. Do I have to pull the entire head off to replace the guides? I read some other posts that say I don't need to split the cases- is that right?

2. Can I see them well enough to evaluate the condition of the guides before I spend $90 large at Ron Ayers?

3. Think I have to replace the cam chain? I checked for stretch last time I did a valve adj (none), but stupid me forgot to look at the guides.

4. Am I right in thinking it may be the cam chain guides? Has anyone replaced these and had a dramitic difference in motor noise?

5. Is there a way to check if the head is getting enough oil? I don't know if I trust the pressure light.

Thanks in advance as usual- I gotta make my bike purr like a kitten so I can show off to the Wachusett, MA ride people!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

You should make sure that it is not the tensioner first.

Comment

Tensioner was rebuilt last year- it is working properly. This brings to mind another question, how do I make the tensioner a manual unit?
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Tensioner was rebuilt last year- it is working properly. This brings to mind another question, how do I make the tensioner a manual unit?
        Check out biker66 website (http://medlem.spray.se/biker66/index.html)
        Dropdown the "My Modifications" on the left and about half way down there is a choice for Cam Chain Tensioner.

Comment

Check out biker66 website (http://medlem.spray.se/biker66/index.html)
          Dropdown the "My Modifications" on the left and about half way down there is a choice for Cam Chain Tensioner.
          Looks like a good mod, I'll do it this weekend. Back to my original questions: Are the cam guides easy to see with just the cam cover off or do I need to remove the entire head? If I don't need to remove the head, can I move the cams without having to break the cam chain?
          Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
          X