Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get carb dip in the UK

Hi
    I've pulled my carbs and got them all to bits, bought new o rings and done a preliminary clean.
    All the good advice is to dip in carb cleaner, but I can't seem to find any available in the UK, either locally or online. Wouldn't be surprised if the Europeans had banned it

Also bought some Carb and Choke cleaner from an accessory shop but its seems pretty useless.
    Can any of the UK GSers recommend a brand and retailer for both products, preferably mail order?

Getting the Pilot Air screws out was really hard. They turned 3 turns from fully closed then kind of seized up.
    Would anyone recommend using a lubricant or copperslip on them when re-fitting?

Is it a good idea to lubricate O rings when reassembling, and if so, what with. I was thinking of using a little vaseline on them.

Merry Christmas all.
    sigpic
    Current bikes:
    1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
    Previous bikes:
    More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
    Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
    1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
    1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Silicone grease on the O-rings works well.

Regarding carb dip, I've read here before about people in the UK having trouble finding it. Somepeople have found a product sold through Yamaha dealers that mixes with water and serves the same function. No personal experience though.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've hunted high and low for this elusive elixir known as Carb Dip and as far as I know there's nothing like it on sale over here. So my tried and tested method is:

1. Strip and soak in Jizer - scrub.
      2. Spray with Cilit Bang - leave for a few minutes (not too long - it'll eat your carbs) - scrub then rinse.
      3. Boil a pan of water (old saucepan as the pan gets tainted), add a drop of Fairy Liquid (just a drop or it'll go too frothy) and leave to boil for around 15 minutes.

For the pilot screws I just give them a quick wipe with 3-in-1 (or just an oily rag if I'm being lazy) before popping back in. I only use Copperslip on the engine bolts (steel to aluminium) - always seems to get everywhere I don't want it when I use it
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yamaha carb cleaner mix part # ACC-CARBC-LE-QT
        Or try a garage that maybe has an ultrsonic carb cleaner that would clean them for you

Comment

I`ve also drawn a blank trying to find carb dip over here. Was told by a guy at a local chop shop that it used to be readily available, but is`nt allowed to be sold now. Probably down to all the OTT Health & Safety crap we get these days !. Thanks for the tips though Hampshirehog, will give that a try. Been told that coca cola or vinegar are worth trying too. Not sure about the coke, would really have to flush through well to get rid of any sugary, sticky stuff.
          "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
          1978 GS750
          1979 GS750 chop
          1979 GS550
          2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
          2000 Enfield Bullet 500
          1992 XV750 Virago
          2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            I've hunted high and low for this elusive elixir known as Carb Dip and as far as I know there's nothing like it on sale over here. So my tried and tested method is:

1. Strip and soak in Jizer - scrub.
            2. Spray with Cilit Bang - leave for a few minutes (not too long - it'll eat your carbs) - scrub then rinse.
            3. Boil a pan of water (old saucepan as the pan gets tainted), add a drop of Fairy Liquid (just a drop or it'll go too frothy) and leave to boil for around 15 minutes.

For the pilot screws I just give them a quick wipe with 3-in-1 (or just an oily rag if I'm being lazy) before popping back in. I only use Copperslip on the engine bolts (steel to aluminium) - always seems to get everywhere I don't want it when I use it
            haha you sound like delia smith's carb cleaning recipe. lol.
            cool if it really works though. we got an ultrasonic cleaning bath at work but never really been sure what chemical to put in it
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by tomo View Post
              I`ve also drawn a blank trying to find carb dip over here. Was told by a guy at a local chop shop that it used to be readily available, but is`nt allowed to be sold now. Probably down to all the OTT Health & Safety crap we get these days !. Thanks for the tips though Hampshirehog, will give that a try. Been told that coca cola or vinegar are worth trying too. Not sure about the coke, would really have to flush through well to get rid of any sugary, sticky stuff.
              diet coke?
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Pretty sure your government won't allow any good chemicals these days, I couldn't find anything usful when I was living there.

Lemon juice in water is supposed to work fairly well, boil them in it for a while.
                Last edited by tkent02; 12-20-2008, 09:08 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

what I do

if time allows, is to drop the complete bank of carbs into a 20litre bucket of water, with a bit of water based degreaser, ie truck wash is ideal. ( degreaser is optional, just plain water is ok too). Make sure the carbs are completely submerged, put the bucket in the corner of the shed for a couple of months (good job for the winter). After a couple of months pull the carbs out of the bucket and they will look like they have been professionally cleaned. Then simply strip the carbs and blow out all the water. All gum/fuel residue will be gone and the carbs will be super clean, inside and out. You can sort of moniter the progress of cleaning by the amount of crud that floats to the top of the water.
                  I discovered this method a few years ago and have used in many times since. Got an old carb under the bench? chuck it in a bucket of water, you will be amazed at the results!!, And the best part, the cleaning solution is FREE!!!!

Comment

Another trick

I have read about, but am yet to try is boiling the carbs for 20 minutes in lemon juice.

Comment

Working...
                    X