R/R Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Placement

With the deep freeze setting in and my bike sitting unfinished in my (unheated) garden shed, I have time to think-maybe too much time. I bought a replacement Duanage Regulator/Rectifier and have read most (I think) of the threads and BassCliff's articles on it regarding its connection.
    Then I saw a new Triumph Thruxton and noted that the R/R was mounted right in front on the forks below the headlight and where the Zener diode was on my old Triumph.
    1) Being out in the air like this, this seems like a good place to mount it-or is it?
    2) If mounting exposed is an OK idea, can the R/R be painted out flat or gloss black?

Considering rocks flying at high speed could hit it and damage the cooling fins it may not be the most ideal location.

Thin, and not too many coats of paint shouldn't be a big problem.

I mounted mine on the left side and though not neccessary i also wired a CPU fan to the shifter so when in neutral the fan is activated.

Comment

Hi Mr. Flaggo60,

Mr. highmileage is one member here who has put the r/r right up front.

I suppose you could paint it black. I don't think that would effect cooling. I think you should get one of those woolly seat covers to go along with your new r/r.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes, Some have mounted the R/R right up front. Although on the frame (as you see above on Mr.Highmilage) would get you enough free air, I would think wouln not have to go out on the forks (where have to be concerned about the wiring flexing). And there on the frame are some treaded holes already (for horn and other).

And Mr.Dunnage has been know to provide his R/R kits with extended leads specifically for that purpose.

Last edited by Redman; 12-21-2008, 08:08 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Copied from Tips & Tricks: Honda R\R Replacement List

Originally posted by duanage
          1) As to heat, the Honda RRs I offer are rated at around 450 watts. The stator on the GS line of bikes puts out around 280 or so. The RR therefore has more capability than the stator can deliver, and more than our bikes need. This translates into lower heat because it is larger than required.

The Honda RR has low resistance diodes that typically measure around 530 ohms. Other RRs measure around 700. The lower forward resistance means less heat is generated by the rectifier.
          Therefore mounting the Honda R\R in the breeze addresses a problem which in all likelyhood (sic) does not even exist.
          1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
          Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            Copied from Tips & Tricks: Honda R\R Replacement List............Therefore mounting the Honda R\R in the breeze addresses a problem which in all likelyhood (sic) does not even exist.
            Thanks for that reference.

Comment

Why to worry for remote mounting to control high temperatures on R/R's? that situation is directly related to it's low power rating. You can find a high powered units in today's market. Having that in mind, I recently installed in my '83 GS1100E a R/R from a CBR1000RR from 2006. You have to believe me, It doesn't get hot, it just keep at ambient temperature.
              Newer bikes has high rating electrical components due to higher current loads like; cooling fans, electrical fuel pumps, injectors, computer, etc....
              My suggestion is to find and install high powered rated R/R's and forget about to their location. Hope to help as many as possible

Edit: Mr. duanage is totally right he is an expert in this matter, I support his statement and his products.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2008, 04:02 PM. Reason: My message was started 2 hours ago and more replies were posted

Comment

I've installed several Honda R/Rs, and they simply do not get hot. Maybe barely warm. They're perfectly fine under the side cover.

Won't hurt anything to paint yours if you like.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X