GS1000 clutch hub rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 clutch hub rebuild

The GS1000 has had the (in)famous clutch rattle at idle since I bought it with about 30K miles on the clock. From reading in the forum archives this is caused by the clutch basket springs starting to sag and break up.

Cheaper option:

Replace existing clutch basket with lower mileage unit. Will this solve the rattling issue?

More expensive option:

Falicon makes a GS1000 clutch hub rebuild kit.

今までの生活を維持する為に副収入が本格的に必要だと。これも真剣に考えだした人は多いはずです。失敗せずに安定した副収入があったのなら、最高だとは思いませんか?自分が先乗り投資法を始めてから変わったことがありました。少なくとも自分にとっては良い変化だと思います。その変化を先にお話していこうかと思います。

Does APE make a clutch hub rebuild kit anymore?

Where would be a good place to send out my clutch hub to get this rebuild kit installed? Apparently you need a press, a welder, and someone experienced to install the kit.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2008, 06:31 AM.

I bought the clutch rebuild kit from schnitz and did it myself. I used this method of clamping it and welding it, but with the new hardware.

Comment

I just had stan gardener do mine while he was working on my crank. I think he use falicon stuff.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

Replace existing clutch basket with lower mileage unit. Will this solve the rattling issue?
        Probably not, those springs have been in there a long time whether it has been used or not.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Are you sure your hub nut isn't loose? It could just be that.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Last year, I bought the clutch rebuild kit from schnitz. I was quoted a price of $225 for the entire job including the kit. I shipped them my GS1000 clutch hub and they had Falicon do the job which included balancing the clutch hub. When the job was done Schnitz bumped the price to $299 and said Oh, so sorry we made a mistake on our quote . Dave Schnitz did not even reply to my e-mail, nice . . . get in writing.

I agree with everyone and the attached article you can have any proficient machinist perform the job. Falicon did an excellent job and since they are so familiar with process I would suggest using them.
            Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Thanks as always for the help.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Probably not, those springs have been in there a long time whether it has been used or not.
              So would it make sense to get a new OEM clutch basket from Suzuki? With the AMA discount from Bikebandit, you can get a new basket for about $225 while the rebuild would be about $300. What other hard parts other than the clutch fibers and steels might need replacing or inspection while the clutch is apart?

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              Good idea, will check that when disassembling.

Comment

Thanks as always for the help.

So would it make sense to get a new OEM clutch basket from Suzuki? With the AMA discount from Bikebandit, you can get a new basket for about $225 while the rebuild would be about $300. What other hard parts other than the clutch fibers and steels might need replacing or inspection while the clutch is apart?

those numbers are over 500 bucks..(oem basket+HD rebuild)
                i think(if there still available) you can get a billet basket for that kind of money...
                also,
                if your not in a hurry you can surf the net for a nice used HD 1000 basket or even a used billet basket.
                its winter time...no rush
                also...
                call john pearson and ask him about pricing for new and if he has any used HD baskets,
                alot of times driveline shops end up with the customers old helical parts and can be bought for a great price!!!
                i sell used HD baskets for 200 and up depending on model of suzuki.
                i have no used HD baskets at this moment.
                937-839-9723 pearson racing

Comment

I think for the extra $75, its worth having those heavy duty springs, larger rivets, and the much thicker backing plate. Plus its welded, not riveted. Its real easy to do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    those numbers are over 500 bucks..(oem basket+HD rebuild)
                    i think(if there still available) you can get a billet basket for that kind of money...
                    also,
                    if your not in a hurry you can surf the net for a nice used HD 1000 basket or even a used billet basket.
                    its winter time...no rush
                    also...
                    call john pearson and ask him about pricing for new and if he has any used HD baskets,
                    alot of times driveline shops end up with the customers old helical parts and can be bought for a great price!!!
                    i sell used HD baskets for 200 and up depending on model of suzuki.
                    i have no used HD baskets at this moment.
                    937-839-9723 pearson racing
                    Thanks...sorry if that wasn't clear...either get a new OEM basket OR get the existing one rebuilt...but I wonder if the same rattling problem will just come back sometime down the line with an OEM unmodified basket.

Comment

Thanks...sorry if that wasn't clear...either get a new OEM basket OR get the existing one rebuilt...but I wonder if the same rattling problem will just come back sometime down the line with an OEM unmodified basket.
                      The torision springs on the new OEM basket will sack out over time and you will have the same rattling problems so many GS1000 owners share. The H/D welded clutch hub will eliminate that problem permanently because the springs are stouter.
                      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

clutch baskets are like press pin crankshafts...
                        you dont have any idea if your basket is rebuildable until its disasembled.
                        alot of baskets that ive rebuilt have had cracked webbing(spring area) in the gear itself that you cant see until its been takin apart..
                        if thats the case..you have to buy another stock basket and start the process over again.
                        the side loads of the helical gear on a stock basket is evil.
                        be aware.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post

Take your oil fill cap off and reach in there with your finger and try and wiggle the clutch. If it wiggles, there's your problem.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Get a HD with your mods.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Get a HD with your mods.
                              You mean a billet basket or the HD rebuild on the stock basket?

Comment

Working...
                              X