No announcement yet.

GS1000 clutch hub rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can be the Ebay brothers at all the rallys this year.
    We don't pay full price for nothing!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why not... it just takes time & patience. I could do with one for the skunk.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Get an after market centre nut from one of the performance outlets . The threads on the Suzuki one are not up to the job and no matter how hard you try after time come loose.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          Mine, too! I bought my head, jugs, pistons, and clutch all from the same guy! Here's the clutch:

Got my clutch basket back from GRC the other day with the HD kit installed. I'd post pics but it looks identical to Bruce's.

Newb clutch rebuild questions following....

Upon reinstallation, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the clutch to engage properly. I used the pics and descriptions in the Haynes, Clymer and factory Suzuki service manuals to put everything back together carefully and to spec.

The teeth of the clutch release rack sticking out of the pressure plate (center of the pressure plate in Bruce's last pic) are engaged with the pinion gear on the clutch cover. There's a bit of slack in the clutch release rack too, is this normal?

When when you bolt on the cover and pull in the clutch lever, it doesn't feel like the clutch is operating. The only resistance at the clutch lever comes from the spring on the clutch cable. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Posting this so someone else won't make the same dumb mistake as me.

After reinstalling the clutch cover, ya gotta turn the pinion gear on the top of the clutch cover all the way to the right (clockwise) before reattaching the clutch cable to get the clutch to disengage when you pull in the clutch lever. Mine was turned all the way to the left.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X