Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana Bodywork Interchange Info.

Long shot...

The Japanese (along with a few other markets like the UK) got a GSX250S and a GSX400S Katana. These used a lot of the styling cues from the GSX750S and the GSX1100S Katana.

GSX250S;

GSX400S;

Can anyone (maybe a UK member) tell me if any of the body panels (tank, sidecovers, fairing etc.) interchange with the GSX750S and GSX1100S?

Also, the later 'final edition' GSX1100S used an assisted clutch mechanism that I believe took up some space under the tank (not 100% sure on this). The tanks on the later GSX1100S have a smaller capacity (19 liters versus 22). Can anyone tell me if these later 'final edition' tanks will fit the earlier GSX1100S?

I wouldn't bet on anything just dropping on and fitting as is. Yes, the early 80's 750 and 1000/1100 stuff was interchangeable, but as for the newer, smaller cc stuff - all bets are off.

That being said, I would bet you could modify something to fit. Or just keep your eyes peeled for eBay stuff; Kat parts come up surprisingly frequently.

And lastly, where in the states are you going to find parts for euro only bikes? Because I'd love to find an affordable, reliable, consistent source of parts to fit my 84 Jap market Kanatuna... (yeah, I know - its just a GS750E under the skin, but still - those damm OEM mirrors I've been watching for for a year now have yet to materialize...)

Comment

The 750, 1000 & 1100 (UK models) katana bodywork panels all swops over, seats rear lights etc, all the same apart from graphics the only part that may cause a problem is if you get a top fairing from a 750 with the pop up headlight & even then i guess its only a matter of chainging the light & fairing frame

Comment

The 750 pop up is in no way interchangeable with the 81-83 Kats. I have both and can tell you without hesitation. To put a pop up fairing on a non pop up Kat would require fabrication of fairing mount points onto the frame, as well as wiring changes to accomodate the headlight. Probably a bunch of other stuff, too.
        The 84 thru 86 (or maybe even 87, in Europe/Japan) Katanas were based on the 83-85 GS 750E/700E platform. I suspect if you could find bodywork for a flip up Katana, it would drop right onto one of these models.

Comment

Working...
        X