Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transistor-Ignition trouble shooting

1981 550T
    Well, I got weak spark or none, I can't see a spark when I do the basic test: the plug out and touching the block when I crank the starter. I hooked up another coil and repeated the test, no spark.
    Time to move on to the wiring from the coils to the igniter and signal generator, then the ig and sig themselves.
    You guys got any tips to shorten my frustration?
    Thanks. Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Dyna...

Is everything stock? Has the wiring been hacked?
    ..and have you cleaned all the grounds?

Comment

Ignitor

Do any of your spark plugs give spark? Guessing no.

Go ahead and check the wiring first, but I am guessing your iginitor is cooked from you R/R being cooked. Ask me how I know, and I will come show you the two fried ignitors and one bad R/R I have.

Did you ever have R/R trouble where the thing got cooked and fried fuses? If so, make sure that you have the right gauge fuse plugged in everywhere. My PO f'ed me over by putting in an oversized one, which lead to the iginitor getting fried- this can happen again if your R/R isn't working properly, so first thing is first.

Check your R/R with voltometer. Instructions in your manual. If it doesn't check out right, replace.

Check iginitor with voltometer. Replace (buy a used one as OEM replacements are expensive) only after checking out the R/R- there were some posts on here about building your own if you have mechanical advance, which I don't THINK you do.

Check signal advancer.

I am guessing it is your iginitor, but unfortunately there is not much of a way to make your life easy, but tests with the voltometer dont take too long.

Comment

Make sure there is juice at the coils as well, there could be a problem with their power. The igniter actually grounds them, it doesn't power them. If you have juice at the coils, then as stated it might be the igniter. I think there is a test in the manual. If it's bad I'd go Dyna over $400.00 OEM igniter or or a used one. If you want to keep it stock (and the igniter is bad) they pop up on ebay from time to time.

Comment

And as I think you talked about there is a Dyna S on ebay for $125 right now. We're getting ahead of the game though because it could be a BUNCH of things stopping the coils from getting power.

Comment

Could even be plug wires, or plug caps.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, it sounds like I should check the continuity of the wiring, and the igniter output. The igniter test is described in my service manual. I got the bike this November, so I have a short history with it. Weeks ago I got it running on one or two cylinders, yesterday-nothing.
              Bill
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

If you have connectivity issues, the igniter will test defective. So before you spend big bucks for the ignitor, check all the connections. Don't forget to pull the headlight bucket apart and check there, that's where I found my problem with the same symptoms you describe. Ask me how I know about replacing the ignitor after the Haynes manual test.

Comment

Problem discoverd

Thanks, I found the problem, a butt connector had come apart near the air box. Probably from all the wrestling to get the carbs back in. I pulled off all the butt connectors and soldered the wires together.
                  Bike started right up. Now I have to tune it to run good but that, is another story.

Comment

Easy and less than $10 to fix any gs/gsx(r?) igniter...

Comment

Originally posted by aquamon View Post
                      Easy and less than $10 to fix any gs/gsx(r?) igniter...
                      AND ... it's always nice to hear what fixed the problem.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X