78 GS1000 Problem...Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 Problem...Help!!!!

I need some help.I just purchased a 1978 GS1000.I am not to sure what all was done to this bike but the exhaust is a 4 into 1 kerker setup and has a dyna ignition.I bought the bike in great running condition.Just the other day gas started leaking from the fuel line attached to the carb.I pulled the tank and clamped the hose to the carb and put everything back how it suppose to be.While i was putting the tank back on i noticed the two other lines where not attached and the one was plugged with a screw.I reattached them and put everything back together.Now the bike will not start.It will not even start on starting fluid.Is there something i may have done while pulling or putting the tank back on?This really stumps me going from a good runner to a non runner.If someone could help i would appreciate it.Thanks....

The two hoses may have been vent hoses? Best suggestion is return it to how it was and see if that helps.
    Dink

Comment

On my bike (81 1100E), I have (or originally had) 4 hoses total going to or coming from the carbs: 1 was the fuel line and is obviously still attached properly. 1 was the vacum line for the fuel petcock which, since I have replaced the stock petcock with a Pingel, is cut to about an inch and plugged with a screw. The other two lines were between the carbs and are float overflow drains. I took those right off because I don't care about fuel spilling onto my motor :twisted:

Basically what I am saying is that your original setup may have been correct. Follow Dinks' advice and put it back like it was. Hope that does the trick!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Would those hoses make it not run even on starting fluid?I will try that after it stops raining in beautiful indiana....

Comment

I have a 78 GS1000

There is only one fuel hose to the carbs. Clamping it may be a good idea if it leaks. This will not cause your problem.

There is a vacuum hose to the fuel tap..is that the one plugged with a screw? This could be because you have a manual fuel tap now installed, so the vacuum hose is not needed.

If you leave the tap turned on it will flood causing all sorts of problems, likely petrol in the oil.

All the other hoses are vent hoses.

Put things back the way they were I think. Clamp the fuel hose still. Check to see if you have an off on the fuel tep...the vacuum tap has the fuel and vacuum hose connected to it, with a prime and on position.

Comment

Oh yea, forgot to add..

get thet 78 going..who needs steenkin 4 valves!!!

Comment

Check the wiring harness connector plug and coil wires Maybe something was pulled loose under the tank. There are three hoses the center one between 2&3 is the fuel hose. the connections between 1&2 3&4 are vents for carbs with a hose atached and going down and past the swingarm. Vacuum for the petcock is taken from the # 3 carb fitting THIS IS ON THE SLIDE CARBS

Comment

Thanks for all the responses Its back alive.I replaced the plugs and she fired right up.I think the gas i bought fowled out my plugs.Installed new plus and set the air screws.WOW do these things move...Thanks all...

Comment

Working...
                X