Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let it sit, now it won't start

Howdy Folks!

I've been having carb trouble with my bike and I recently got really busy with work so I let the bike sit for a week. When I went back out to start it, I cannot get it to start at all! Choke on, clutch in, run switch on, hit the starter and all it does is crank. I know there's fuel and spark....maybe too much fuel, as the last time I ran it, it was stalling out when it was warm.

I think my carbs actually need new floats. Where is a good place to get them? The dealer or elsewhere? I also want to clean out my carbs again. Is there a good carb kit that comes with all the o-rings? Also, someone suggested cleaning the carb AGAIN but using Naptha as a solvent instead of carb cleaner. Where can I get naptha - isn't it a highly caustic?

Any suggestions much appreciated!
    -Al Conforti

Put in new spark plugs and try it again.

Comment

Is the gas is fresh ??? I recently rebuilt the top end of my Triumph over a three month period and it wouldn't start when I got it back together. Good spark, plenty of gas. I drained the gas from the carb bowls, put fresh gas in the tank and it fired up on the first kick. (I always put some stabil in the gas when the bike is going to sit for more than a month but this time it didn't help).

Comment

It sounds to me that you need to rebuild those carbies- maybe the float jet is not closing correctly?? I can't imagine the floats themselves need to be replaced, not much can go wrong with them. I am not sure what your bike is, but some guy is on e-bay selling carb rebuild kits for $65 for 4 kits (each kit does one carb body). It's a good price, you won't find them for less than $22 per kit. I bought some and my carbies are breathing good now!!!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

granny_rocket, you can try www.sudco.com for carb replacement parts. they should even have your floats if they need replaced.

Comment

Your floats definitely CAN go bad - happened to one of mine. If they are not air tight they can let gas leak into them and then they won't float. Remove the float from the bowl and shake it around. If you hear liquid sloshing around inside then they're defective.

Comment

Working...
            X