Can you help get me up and running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help get me up and running?

I have a 1980 GS850GT and just replaced the rubber o-rings and stuff on my petcock last Saturday from a repair kit I got on e-bay.

But... ...now, whenever I put gas back in the tank it leaks everywhere. It is leaking out of a small hole on the back side of the vacuum housing. I can't even put my tank on my bike becuase of this leak and have tried opening it up and adjusting the insides about 8 times now...with no luck

Has anyone had this problem or know what I did wrong?

It was better before...because at least then I could use my bike (I had a plastic shut-off down line from the petcock.) Now I can't even ride my bike and I'm missing some good weather!

--Dwight

Give up and just go get the pingel....at least you will get to ride and its a far superior valve. Hate you spent the money on a rebuild kit.

Comment

I think you might be right. If I go to the pingel petcock, do I just always have to turn it off or it will leak out gas?

--Dwight

Comment

With the pingle Turn the fuel off before turning the engine off.

Comment

Thanks, I figured that was what I would need to do.

Does anyone know the specific Pingel Petcock I'll need to order for my 1980 GS850GT?

And maybe a good place to get it so I can get it shipped here fast.

Thanks for your help?

--Dwight

Comment

Call Dennis Kirk 1-800-328-9280 for correct app.

Comment

You did not assemble the petcock correctly. There are little clues in the diaphram as to how to do it (check that the holes line up with holes in the other parts). The stock petcock works fine as designed - with a good rebuild kit in it you shouldn't have to worry about it for another 15 years. If you forget to turn off a pingel, you may 1) foul plugs, 2) fill your crankcase up with gas, 3) fill your garage up with gas or even 4) hydraulic lock a cylinder, possibly bending valves.

Comment

heres another site that you can see the parts

If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page there is a list for OEM style aftermarket petcocks too

Comment

Hello Dwigbrad, sorry to hear of your dilema. Sell it to me, I don't mind shutting off the gas with a little shut off valve. Of course I grew up with dirt bikes that you had to shut the gas off each time you shut off the bike so it's just second nature to me. Good luck with whatever you do.

Comment

SqDancerLynn1 Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the pingle Turn the fuel off before turning the engine off.
                    Yeah, the Pingle is a little bit of a pain in the a$$. On the bright side, you will probably only forget to turn it off once! That's what I did, now it is more important than the key itself!
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Don,

Thanks for the suggestion on repairing the current petcock. I would love to get it at least up and running for a while before I fork out the dollars for a pingel.

I'll try to line up the holes in the different parts of the vacuum housing.

I see a small hole in the back thin rubber piece. There is also a hole in the plastic square that goes between the two thin rubber pieces. Should these two holes both line up with the hole in the metal casing that goes through to the outside?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

--Dwight

Comment

Never having owned a bike with an automatic petcock, I dont notice the Pingel to be a problem. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro

Yeah, the Pingle is a little bit of a pain in the a$$. On the bright side, you will probably only forget to turn it off once! That's what I did, now it is more important than the key itself!
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                        X