Tire life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire life

After reading the search results for an 850 GL, It looks like the Dunlop E3s are the way to go for high milage. The only negitive I saw is they harden up if you don't use them. Any other negitive comments, aside from price? I think I will buy a set of these for my Alaska trip. How much will the weight of gear have on the life of the tire? I don't expect my gear to weigh as much as a passenger, but I don't want to have to change a tire 2/3 of the way either. I estimating my total milage to anywhere from a low of 9000 to a high of 12000. Pretty sure they will need to be swaped when I get back. Thanks.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

The E3s should make it. By all accounts, they're great in the rain and handle quite well in the dry.

Obviously, they're probably not great on gravel, but I think the main roads to Alaska are now paved.

Any tire will harden up and get weird if you let the bike sit around for a couple of years, or only ride it to the corner tavern on alternate sunny weekends.

I had 12,000 miles on a set of Elite II Dunlops (NLA) and they had a good 3,000 - 4,000 left when I got a small bonus and tried some Pirellis. The E3s should wear at least as well.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just from personal experience:

This past summer I changed the tires on my wife's 850L. Had Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires on it that we put on three years ago. Tires had 14,000 miles on them. Tire shop was out of E3s in these sizes, so put on another set of Hi-Max.

Also this past summer, I changed tires on my Wing. Had Dunlop E3s on it that I put on last year. Tires had 23,000 miles on them. Put on another set of E3s.

Either one should do you quite well, in my opinion.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a set of the E3's on my 1100L and am very happy with them. They broke in quickly and maybe give a little less feedback than the Sport Demons but are still an excellent tire IMO. I have had them out in both heavy rain and heavy twisties and they have always felt very stable with no suprises. They are more expensive than other tires but with the mileage per set are a good deal and should last the entire trip for you.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Dude you are being really optimistic of doing a trip from NY to Alaska and back on one set of tires. One of the guys I rode with out of Saskatoon went from there to Alaska and back on a setbarely. You are adding about 3000 more miles. I think you will be changing at least the rear on your way back.

Comment

Working...
          X