my choke cable is too short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my choke cable is too short

haha, i know what you're thinking.... that's what she said, right?

but seriously, i had this bike given to me and its been neglected/chopped up/rigged and im trying to get it back together and road worthy.

my question comes with a picture:

this is with the choke cable fully seated up on the triple, and the gang lever pulled as far up as i think it goes (choke travel is ~1/16", gang travel is ~1/2", right?) and its no where near fitting. the end of the cable should pull past the round guy in the pic, slide in, and engage. mine doesnt even come close.

it wouldnt surprise me if this motor wasnt factory, but i leave it here to be dissected. why oh why doesnt my choke cable go where it is supposed to? i followed the routing (although peculiar, from what ive read/seen its correct) and even tested to see if there was a hangup in the cable, but it worked fine both ways.

so there it is, gentlemen. help the kid out.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM.

Hard to tell for sure, from 2 pics, but I would guess wrong cable
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

i think you're right. it wouldnt surprise me if the carb rack had been replaced with something other than stock.

does the linkage look right? i dont have anything to base it off of, but my first guess was that it was the wrong cable.

Comment

I would bet the end that goes thru the frame is broken, limiting travel

Comment

Linkage looks different from what I've seen on my VM29 carbs and VM22 550 carbs. Not sure what's going on there.
          Last edited by Nessism; 12-28-2008, 11:59 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Looks just like my 79GS850 linkage

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              I would bet the end that goes thru the frame is broken, limiting travel

elaborate, please

Comment

That's what she said.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Their is a 6-8" hard plastic piece (part of the cable)that goes thru the steering head. Unscrew it from the frame to remove it & examine it.If it is broken it could be jammed making the outer part of the cable seem longer, making the inner cable too short

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Their is a 6-8" hard plastic piece (part of the cable)that goes thru the steering head. Unscrew it from the frame to remove it & examine it.If it is broken it could be jammed making the outer part of the cable seem longer, making the inner cable too short

ah, and i assume if its broken i have to replace it.

Comment

maybe its a choke cable for a later model with CV carbs...
                      center pull through the triple clamp stem, right?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        maybe its a choke cable for a later model with CV carbs...
                        center pull through the triple clamp stem, right?

yes sir, pulls thru triple. ill dissect it tomorrow.

Comment

Here's another idea. Check your throttle grip. I have seen people put the end of the cable in the wrong hole in the grip. There will be 2 possible grooves for the cable, you need to make sure you're using the right one.

Paul
                          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                            Here's another idea. Check your throttle grip. I have seen people put the end of the cable in the wrong hole in the grip. There will be 2 possible grooves for the cable, you need to make sure you're using the right one.

Paul

understood, but what does that have to do with the choke cable?

Comment

Working...
                            X