Stator rotor question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator rotor question...

So after popping off the stator cover to replace the stator and the starter clutch on the '80 GS1000E, I noticed that the magnetic field from the rotor is quite weak. If you get a steel wrench close to the rotor, it's not until the wrench about 1/8" away before the wrench is magnetically drawn to the rotor. Even then it's quite easy to pull the wrench from the rotor again.

Thinking this is part of the charging system issues, I'm already replacing the R/R along with the stator, possibly the rotor needs replacement too?

The difference between the magnetism of the rotor on the GS and my 06 GSXR is like night and day - the magnetism of the GSXR rotor would've snatched the wrench out of my hand from 3-4 inches away.

So, what do you do about this? Is it possible to re-magnetize the rotor? A new rotor for this model of GS is no longer available from Suzuki.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM.

[So, what do you do about this? Is it possible to re-magnetize the rotor? A new rotor for this model of GS is no longer available from Suzuki.[/quote]

My 81 750 I believe has the same unit. At any rate sounds about like the strength mine had when last I took it apart. Replaced Stator and it has worked well ever since especially since running a ground from RR to battery and using better clips on the wires.

Just replace the stator (since it's an easy job) and see what voltages AC you get on all three wires. I got like 75VAC between wires.

I never heard of anyone having to remagnetize their rotor??

Comment

OK so a question for the group - how strong should the magnetic pull be on the rotor? Does the rotor lose its magnetism over time?

Comment

Sounds like you found your problem, I'm sure it can be remagnarised but I have no idea who would do it. Check with local motor rewinding Companies

Comment

Now this is one I'm going to follow.... I wonder what the factory spec is for the magnetic force of the rotor... wonder who you'd take it to get it magnetized again... a place that does alternator rebuilds....

Comment

can you post a picture? id like to see if i can find you a modern replacement.

Comment

The Factory Manual doesn't specify magnetism of the generator rotor in gauss or anything else for that matter. Magnets of course do lose their magnetism over time especially if they been dropped or been subject to corrision. The later being unlikely.

We have all read a lot of Charging, Stator threads etc but I don't recall any were the root cause problems was the generator rotor. Of course some one will immediately prove me wrong.

Bodine Motors refurbishes various motors etc so they may be a good starting point if you want fix every possible thing while the starter clutch is apart.
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
              X