frame differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame differences

could i get any of you with either pics of your bare (tankless/seatless will do, but bare is better) or bare frames sitting in your garage to take pictures/post them for me? im looking to catalog the minor differences from year to year, model to model.

in my research, ive seen some small (but large) differences in frames, and i think it will help others looking for part swaps or to visualize a project.

Gs1000g 1980

Hope this helps GS1000G 1980

Comment

Pretty Pretty Matchless! I can't wait until mine looks that good.

I'll try and remember to post a pic of mine when down to the frame, but I think the 81 is identical to the 80. I'm waiting for a friend's help this weekend to take the bottom end off (head and cylinders already off). I actually think I'm gonna brace it in the "what the hell, I might as well" spirit before I take it for powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        Pretty Pretty Matchless! I can't wait until mine looks that good.

I'll try and remember to post a pic of mine when down to the frame, but I think the 81 is identical to the 80. I'm waiting for a friend's help this weekend to take the bottom end off (head and cylinders already off). I actually think I'm gonna brace it in the "what the hell, I might as well" spirit before I take it for powder coating.
        You will never be sorry you powdercoated instead of painting! Just do not miss blanking off any threads and holes, I missed a few and they are hard to clean later!

Comment

post it up, regardless if you think its the same or not. that was my problem, thinking they were all the same, that's why im trying to compile all of the frames.

Matchless, thank you, and nice bones.

Comment

GS frame

a 1982 GS1100GL, two angles.

hope it helps. This is my GS1100GL that needs work!! heh, heh.
            1981 GS750L (sold)
            1981 GS750L (current)
            1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
            1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
            1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
            1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
            1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
            1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
            1980 GS1100L (Janice)
            Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
            e tan, e epi tan

Comment

i hope someone more versed in frame differences chimes in, because im not seeing much difference here.

i was mainly focused on the "hips" (i call them), the tubes on either side of the "backbone" of the bike. where they join the steering "neck". looks can be deceiving, but they all look the same width. the only differences i am seeing is the different front tank mounting "ears" and the different rear tank mount that the tank bolts to.

keep the pictures coming!

Comment

It's posted in another thread, maybe in performance mods, but excellent article on the Old Skool Suzuki site on frame bracing. I plan on doing it when teardown complete. I am reconsidering powdercoat after the quote I got today of $375 for strip and powdercoat. I'm sure it's worth it, but every time I think about $375 I see a set of Wiseco Pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  I am reconsidering powdercoat after the quote I got today of $375 for strip and powdercoat. I'm sure it's worth it, but every time I think about $375 I see a set of Wiseco Pistons.
                  I have seen this sort of cost mentioned before and it amazes me. Mine was done at a place that powdercoates gates and fence steel, it also included sandblasting it, cost R485.00 which is about USA $50, two coats in satin black. All the small parts, calipers, M/C, airbox, handle bar clamps was done separately for R220, about $25. I just did all the masking beforehand with bolts and washers. It must be the only thing here in South Africa that is cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    I have seen this sort of cost mentioned before and it amazes me. Mine was done at a place that powdercoates gates and fence steel, it also included sandblasting it, cost R485.00 which is about USA $50, two coats in satin black. All the small parts, calipers, M/C, airbox, handle bar clamps was done separately for R220, about $25. I just did all the masking beforehand with bolts and washers. It must be the only thing here in South Africa that is cheaper!
                    I'm checking around. The first place to respond to a request for a quote was a place that does Hot Rods, Harleys, etc.... they may just be used to people who have more money than good sense.

Comment

Aside from the shaft drive models, I think the major differences that you will find will be dimensional not visual. As you and I both learned, the GS 750 is narrower from side to side than the GS1000. I also know that there are differences in steering head length. Again, nothing that could be discerned from a picture unless there is a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                        Aside from the shaft drive models, I think the major differences that you will find will be dimensional not visual. As you and I both learned, the GS 750 is narrower from side to side than the GS1000. I also know that there are differences in steering head length. Again, nothing that could be discerned from a picture unless there is a reference.

exactly, and thats what im trying to find. the more pics i have, the better i can track down those differences. ive about got the 1000s figured out. the 750s im working on, then the 450/550/650/850.

Comment

Have you checked fiches available on several parts suppliers sites, like say Bikebandit? While they're not dimensioned, it'll give you as much an indication as any unscaled photo will.

Comment

Working...
                          X