All lights dim for a sec. then go bright again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All lights dim for a sec. then go bright again

I seem to be having a strange but not fatal electrical problem. It seems like when the bike is running for a while all the lights dim slightly then go back to full power, dim slightly then go back to full power it will be fine for 10 mins then go again through dim/bright cycles. It seems to happen after I've ridden a while. My theories are as follows:

1. After riding for a while the Reg/Rectifier gets hot enough to create for an instance extra resistance for an then "clears" up as soon as it cools slightly.

2. The wiring somewhere is heating up to creat extra resistance for a second.

3. Loose wire maybe? Well it doesn't happen untill about 15 min of riding I say no. Bad ground?

I have a brand new heavy duty stator in there with a new battery so there is lots of power. It seems to "clear" as soon as I put more load on the electrics. i.e. put on the high beams for a sec, or turn signals. It only really starts after I ride for a while, which leads me to belive something is getting hot, or resistance is building somewhere. Could it be my reg/rec is going? Any thoughts,

thanks,

Chris.

r/r is going.. try to use a fan to cool it.. may help

Comment

Re: All lights dim for a sec. then go bright again

The only reason the wiring can be getting hot is excess resistance.
      It a very safe bet you have either corroded grounds or connectors or terminals. OR.......all of the above. :-) I would do some thorough cleaning first.

Earl

Originally posted by Chrissinc
      I seem to be having a strange but not fatal electrical problem. It seems like when the bike is running for a while all the lights dim slightly then go back to full power, dim slightly then go back to full power it will be fine for 10 mins then go again through dim/bright cycles. It seems to happen after I've ridden a while. My theories are as follows:

1. After riding for a while the Reg/Rectifier gets hot enough to create for an instance extra resistance for an then "clears" up as soon as it cools slightly.

2. The wiring somewhere is heating up to creat extra resistance for a second.

3. Loose wire maybe? Well it doesn't happen untill about 15 min of riding I say no. Bad ground?

I have a brand new heavy duty stator in there with a new battery so there is lots of power. It seems to "clear" as soon as I put more load on the electrics. i.e. put on the high beams for a sec, or turn signals. It only really starts after I ride for a while, which leads me to belive something is getting hot, or resistance is building somewhere. Could it be my reg/rec is going? Any thoughts,

thanks,

Chris.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

My bike was doing this due to a loose R/R ground. The bolt has backed out a few turns so I had an intermittent dim light...the bolt was hot too.

Steve

Comment

dim lights

i have the same problem on gs750es! when ridding on the hoghway at a constant speed the bike suddenly develops a flat spot and the lights dim. if i accelerate it comes out of it immediately. i tried replacing the r/r. still has the same problem. i've added an extra ground from the r/r. no go.
          i've checked the charging system and everything seems fine. while riding around town it never does it. only, it seems, at higher rpms(highway).
          its a head scratcher........... especially when i can accelerate with no hesitation whatsoever and it immediatley comes out of it.

Comment

jonathan smith Wrote:

" when ridding on the hoghway"

Thats the problem your riding on the road for HARLEY"S It expects ya to break down!!!!

Comment

Yeah its weird I get no loss of power it's just the lights dim on the bike for about half a second then come back. It doesn't seem to affect the bike. I was just thinkning if something was going better to know now in advance before it goes. Since it doesn't affect the performance of the bike I will just try and track down loose conections, bad grounds for now and ignore it.

Comment

Check the ign switch, try bypassing the switch and running the bike to see if the problem is still there

Comment

Working...
                X