problems splitting engine cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems splitting engine cases

i am working with a '78 850G. using the manual downloaded from basscliff's site. on page 7-52. i have the kickstarter spring off. the next line is "remove 2 bolts and then the oil seal holder". no picture = huh?

second problem is with "remove the secondary drive bevel gear assembly from the crankcase." at least i know where that is. i took out the four bolts but its still holding tight. i gently pried with a small bar and could get it to move a couple mils but no more and it wanted to spring back after the pry was removed.

third problem and probably a step that should have been done already is removing the generator rotor. i don't have a rotor holder or any of the special tools. looking at the shaft with the bolt on the end there is a place to put a wrench on the shaft. could i then hold the shaft like this and remove the bolt? is the rotor gonna be impossible to get off without the rotor remover set? i really don't want to spend money on special tools but if i need them maybe i should....

I don't know a whole lot about the differences in shafty engines, but have you taken the clutch out? There's a few bolts and stuff in behind there.

As for the rotor, you don't need to take it off the crank just to take the cases apart. Only if you plan on replacing the seal or anything behind it.

Comment

When you get the case bolts removed the secondary gear assembleys should slide out alot easier. 850 should be 79 NO 78 model. What is the reason for splitting the cases ??
      Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM.

Comment

[quote=SqDancerLynn1;937451]When you get the case bolts removed the secondary gear assembleys should slide out alot easier. 850 should be 79 NO 78 model. What is the reason for splitting the cases ??[/quote

i was gonna ask about the case bolts. had a feeling it would come out easier loosened up a bit.
        splitting the cases because they are there..... and i have never done that before. gotta see how it works. hands on is how i learn best.

Comment

Originally posted by mcneilk View Post
          ... splitting the cases because they are there..... and i have never done that before. gotta see how it works. ...
          Many of us here wish we had that luxury.

Most of us avoid splitting the cases until all other possibilites are gone, leaving "splitting the cases" as a last resort.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Many of us here wish we had that luxury.

Most of us avoid splitting the cases until all other possibilites are gone, leaving "splitting the cases" as a last resort.

Heh, that's pretty much what I do too. Gotta tear stuff apart, even if it's just for fun. Splitting the cases and putting them back together isn't that big of a job...... as long as you know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
              Heh, that's pretty much what I do too. Gotta tear stuff apart, even if it's just for fun. Splitting the cases and putting them back together isn't that big of a job...... as long as you know what you're doing.

well i don't know what i am doing. i still can't find the two bolts and the oil seal holder.
              and if you don't know you gotta learn. which is exactly what i am trying to do.

the act of splitting the cases isn't a luxury but hopefully the knowledge gained will be. it was a nonrunning bike when i got it two years ago. since then its donated a speedo drive, numerous bolts and screws, and one tire. saving me not only the cost of the items but the time and cost of shipping. time being the most important.

Comment

Go here http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp
                Look up your model and look at the cool pictures.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the link chef. still can't find those mysterious bolts and seal holder.

got the bevel gears removed. loosening the case bolts made the difference.

rudy i am gonna leave the rotor on.

spdancer you'r right. its a '79.

Comment

Might be talking about the seal on the clutch cover for the kick start.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I suspect that the fact that this detail follows on from the discussion about the kick starter has led you astray.
                      I've just split the cases on my '81 GS1000G and once you've removed the clutch basket assembly you'll see a seal retaining plate and a bearing retaining plate that spans the top and bottom crankcase.
                      You need to remove these in order to split the cases.
                      Just check around the join of the two cases and see if any plates span that line.
                      Cheers.

Comment

Look at the fiche diagrams like Bill says and make sure you have removed every bolt that you can see in the diagram. I mean count them one by one.

Find this diagram on Alpha Sports and make sure every bolt has been removed. Some will be hidden by grease, dirt, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X