Time for a new chain (700E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new chain (700E)

I have found myself tightening my chain pretty often now. I imagine its about time for a new one. I have an '85 700E. I read somewhere that I need a 530X114. Anyone know if that is correct. I don't really want to spend $100 for a chain on a bike that I may not have much longer. Chapparal has a DID non-oring listed for $31. The same chain on denniskirk says not for over 450cc. Wouldn't this be based on the tensile strength? This is @ 7,280. Those pricey Regina Gold O-ringers are only rated @7,500. Can anyone tell me what I really need?

Trevor

....I did do a search but chain is a very commonly used word on this forum

You'll need to get a good chain and new sprockets, if you want it to last. The stock setting for your bike is 14/45 sprockets, and a 530x114 chain.

Comment

Yup, do the sprockets too or you'll be adjusting as much as with the old chain!!!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

where is the best place to get a chain-price wise. I am hurting for money here. Clutch went out in my truck and I haven't had the weather/time to work on it yet and my bike needs a chain. This leaves me driving my roomates very healthy 5.0 mustang back and fourth to work. 10 mpg ain't so nice on my intern's pay but I could run some low 13's or hit about 170 if I find some open road! sad part is that I have a perfectly good 65 mustang fastback at home but its got the clutch illness too...trying too hard to keep up with the roomie's stang at Island dragway. What I wouldn't to do for one problem free ride right now.

Comment

Working...
        X