No announcement yet.

Ethenol in the gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may have quite a bit to do with local climate. All that I have mentioned I have experienced. The problems with fiberglass tanks is well documented in the marine industry.
    People who have been flying with auto fuel have now needed to go back to using Avgas especially in low wing planes that require a fuel pump.

We just had an Ice storm that left many areas without power for 4+ days. The problems with generators not coming up to power was no laughing matter to those that needed them but found carbs full of crap.

Our local climate is getting wetter with greater temperature swings. This can create much more condensation in fuel tanks leading to the jelling issues.

The E10 is not a good fuel for this region. Luckily with a 20 mile drive I can get straight fuel without the ethanol.

Comment

E10 should not harm anything but e85 will screw stuff up I believe you need brass floats you would need to fatten up your mixture. We get non-flexfuel cars in the shop at times and vehicle will set lean codes as the injectors cant pulse width long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
        It may have quite a bit to do with local climate. All that I have mentioned I have experienced. The problems with fiberglass tanks is well documented in the marine industry.
        People who have been flying with auto fuel have now needed to go back to using Avgas especially in low wing planes that require a fuel pump.

We just had an Ice storm that left many areas without power for 4+ days. The problems with generators not coming up to power was no laughing matter to those that needed them but found carbs full of crap.

Our local climate is getting wetter with greater temperature swings. This can create much more condensation in fuel tanks leading to the jelling issues.

The E10 is not a good fuel for this region. Luckily with a 20 mile drive I can get straight fuel without the ethanol.
        I was shocked to read that people use ethanol mix in aircraft. Up here there are warning signs all over the e10 pumps warning that under no circumstances should it be used for aviation purposes.

Comment

Just a FYI, It's missouri law that we have to have 10% ethanol in the gas.
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by asetech View Post
            E10 should not harm anything but e85 will screw stuff up I believe you need brass floats you would need to fatten up your mixture. We get non-flexfuel cars in the shop at times and vehicle will set lean codes as the injectors cant pulse width long enough.
            to run e85 you will have to increase fuel flow by at least 25%. we changed over to e85 on my son's dragcar last year. went from $8.50 a gallon 110 octane racing fuel to $3.50 at it's highest point e85. we buy it at the kroger right up the street. had to change from rubber floats to brass. also had to change meatering plates on the 850 holley and jet up 25%. car picked up .01 in the 1/8 mlie and .03 in the 1/4 mile. also ran cooler and cooled of a lot faster in the heat. a good thing when he runs 3 classes in one race.

Comment

Working...
            X