Airbox Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Boots

Finally got new airbox boots for my 82 gs850gl, may be a silly question but should I oil or put some kind of grease around the slot before installing the new ones in the airbox? Just do not know. Happy New Year!!!

Not necessary, but a little spray lube may help get them into place. Just make sure the inner spring clamps hold the boots secure.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

New boots are on...much better fit . Old ones were looser in the airbox and just grabbed the carbs. These are tight in the box and slipped all the way on the carbs with a snug fit. Hope this fixes my woes with this bike of mine. I'll try starting tomorrow and keep you guys updated, wish me luck. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Not necessary, but a little spray lube may help get them into place. Just make sure the inner spring clamps hold the boots secure.
        Can you explain the inner spring clamps please? What form do they take? How do they hold the boots in place?
        Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM.

Comment

They are about 1/16" thick x 1/2" spring steel in a circle with aprox 1/2" cut out of the circle. If you look inside the rubber boot there is a recessed area where this needs to seat. Install the boot in the airbox, then I've just squeezed the clamp got it partially in and then worked it into a seated position by going around it with a flathead screwdriver a little at a time till it was seated properly. Kind of a pain the first couple of times but once you get the hang of it they go in pretty easy, just dont force it or slip with the screwdriver as you can scratch or gouge the boot. There should be a little dot on the outer ring on the boot that will be close to the airbox when installed, this dot should line up between the dots on your airbox. I say between because my airbox had 2 dots and in lining the single on the boot between the 2 on the airbox worked for me. As for what they do I assume they help keep them in place and seal better. Hope this helps.

To remove them take a flathead screwdriver and push in on the back end or opposite the cut out portion of the clamp. You may need to do this a few time as it took a few tries till I got them to seat right.

Comment

Working...
          X