GS 650 Fuel tank Clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 Fuel tank Clean

Has anyone pulled off a GS 650 tank & cleaned it from the RUST & GUNK from the inside?

I'd like to do mine this weekend.. but unsure what the best approch is... any suggestions?

From everything I've read and heard this is one of the best products on the market for gettting rust out of the tank. http://www.por15.com/tankseal_fuelpreserve.html

Comment

I noticed some minor rust flakes in the bottom of my tank while shining a flashlight in there.

I took the tank off when I had a little gas left and sloshed it around really good. Then I took the petcock out and drained out the fuel, tilting the tank back and forth. I rinsed with a little clean gas again.

I'm not certain if I removed all the loose stuff but I got most of it and it was time I looked at the petcock screen which was clean anyway.

Now if you're talking about a serious rust problem or major sediment you may need to take further steps.

Comment

I have had good results with a solution of half and half water and Muriatic acid (found at most local home centers) leave it in overnight and change the tanks position occasionaly then rinse thoroughly with very hot water, then dry with compressed air. Then fill with fuel. The acid is pretty tough stuff so be very careful with it. You will want to make up block off plates for the petcock and fuel level sending unit opening. I went this route because the tank had rust but not any holes, and I have had serious trouble with a tank coated with sealer by a former owner. The sealer began to come off in big gooey chunks and strips (and you thought rust was bad). any how just my 2 cents.

Comment

What color?

Hey, dgeorge, just out of curiosity...what color is that stuff you're talking about? I had my tank professionally coated and I'm very pleased with it..the stuff they used is dark red. Thanks!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

thanks for your help....

any advice on the PETCOCK removal?...

Comment

I think it is just two screws/bolts and the petcock comes off. (assuming you've already unhooked the fuel/vacuum lines)

If the screws/bolts are rusty, WD-40 or other penetrating oil should help.

You don't neccessarily have to remove the petcock to get the loose junk out, I suppose you could just tip the tank over. I would probably take it out to inspect it if there is quite a bit of junk floating around in your tank.

Comment

It is a good idea to take off the petcock.
                1. there is a fine filter above it inside the tank ....clean it
                2. it is a PITA to get anything out through the filler opening (the baffle is in the way)
                However this is just my opinion.

Comment

Gas Tank Cleaning? Easy one -

Drain out all the old gas and let the tank dry. Then fill it with white vinegar, or a 50 / 50 mix of white vinegar and water if you are poor and not in a hurry.

White vinegar will not hurt anything including you and your petcock, is easy to dispose of, and Will clean it down to bare metal in between an hour and overnight.

I no longer believe in coating gas tanks that are not leaking. Clean them, keep them filled with fresh gasoline, and all will be well. They weren't lined from the factory.

After the vinegar works, dump it out, remove the petcock and flush the tank repeatedly with a pressure washer or even a garden hose until the water runs out clear and particle free. Install the petcock and a new Wix in-line fuel filter (# 03011) and ride on.

No worries.

stephen

Comment

Working...
                  X