GS550 to GS550t conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 to GS550t conversion

I have a 1981 gs550 which was used by the Malaysian army.
    The bike has pretty unique specs - it has a gs550 tank and the GS550T tail.
    Im guessing the specs are because there was a radio box and saddle bags as standard on military bikes. It doesnt have any rear footpegs, and the seats are for one up.
    I was wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to convert it into a GS550t. I'm planning on buying the GS550t parts and tank because right now, it's effectively a single seater.
    Would a gs550t tank fit on the gs550?
    thanks

To start with there was no gs550 model for 1981. There was only a GS550L and a GS550T. We need a bit more info to be able to help you. You need to know what model the petrol tank came off (was it the "L" model). Which frame do you have. You need to compare your frame to the fiche diagrams for that period to identify which one it is.

This frame is from 1981 GS550T.

Comment

that looks like my frame. Im sure that my bike isn't a GS550L, but the thing is - im also pretty sure the tank isnt a GS550T. By the way, my bike has a front disc and drums at rear and wire spoke wheels.

Could it be possible that the specs were drawn up entirely for the Malaysian military?
      It was registered in 1981 - but im not sure if it was manufactured in the same year. Could have been delays in delivering the bike from Suzuki to the Malaysian army.
      also - are the GS550 and GS550t frame similar?

Comment

There is no GS550 for that year.

Check out the front forks and see if they are "L" or "T" model forks. The "L" model has a leading axle which means the axle is out in front of the fork tube centreline. Check the Alpha Sports fiches for the '81 GS550 and you will see what I mean. The fork on the "T" model has the front axle directly under the fork tube and lower leg.

A picture of your bike would help.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Man, sounds cool. Why on earth would you want to mess with it? It's a piece of history. My vote (not that you asked) would be to ride it like it is and have a neat story to go with it.

And I do have a gs550t, which isn't nearly as interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            There is no GS550 for that year.

Check out the front forks and see if they are "L" or "T" model forks. The "L" model has a leading axle which means the axle is out in front of the fork tube centreline. Check the Alpha Sports fiches for the '81 GS550 and you will see what I mean. The fork on the "T" model has the front axle directly under the fork tube and lower leg.

A picture of your bike would help.

Yes, pics would be great ! I think we would all like to see it !

Here's how to post pics using photobucket..http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...t_pictures.pdf
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

these are a few pics of my bike:

The reason why I want to convert the bike into a GS 550t is because I want to tour with a passenger, and the bike is now set up as a single seater.
              I know the bike has a lot of history, and I feel a bit guilty about changing it but a GS550t would be more practical.
              Bikes are notoriously expensive in Malaysia, and I only have this bike to commute on. A new Kawasaki Versys or Ninja 650r costs about RM46,000 - which is about USD13,000. A ZX-14 costs more than RM100,000.
              I was thinking of trading the unique parts on my bike with GS 550t parts. However, I need to confirm whether they are interchangeable.

thanks

Comment

Well, that is definitely not a 1981 model bike, at least not like a 1981 we would see in the states. It's got a kickstart, so it would have to be an earlier model. Everything about that bike is different than my 550t. The tank looks like an "E" to me.

The rear rack doesn't look like it would be easy to retrofit. Have you considered bolting a padded seat to the top of the rack? I don't see any provisions for footpegs, but perhaps you could buy some clamp on's or highway pegs and clamp them on the frame. This would be a quick fix.

I think you should be looking at a 1979 GS550E for interchangeable parts. Maybe somebody with that model will jump in here.

At any rate, that is a cool bike, and will likely be worth something someday if kept somewhat orginal or at least restorable to original specs. If you do modify it, I would take detailed pictures before and keep the old parts to put back on at some point.

I've heard about the outrageous prices in Malaysia and Thailand for all things mechanical. And we are whining here about a little stock market problem.

Comment

That rack and fender are definitely unique.

I'm thinking a piece of metal, a little foam, some vinyl, and you've got a passenger seat that bolts to the empty radio rack. The rack frame appears to be pretty stout, and will reinforce the bike's frame. I bet there's a local upholstery shop that could whip this up cheap.

If you want to try and convert it to a different model GS550, well, I think you're pretty much on your own there. Drag home a donor carcass and see what fits. We don't really know exactly what they started with to create the military model, for one.

You should be able to strip off the fender and rack if you really want and make some frame measurements to help you pick out a donor bike. Basically get down to what came from the Suzuki factory and work from there.

You'll notice that the turn signals are different, and I really doubt that fender is a factory Suzuki piece.

We're also whining about that nasty winter problem here in the states. I'll never understand why anyone would settle in a place where ice falls out of the sky on a regular basis.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 01-11-2009, 01:11 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It looks like you have a model based on the GS550 model from 1977 to 1979. You have the kickstart model engine. You have the '77 to '79 frame. I cannot see by the photos, but I would suggest you have the drum brake on the rear wheel and the front caliper will be the one with the round brake pads. Do not get the GS550 confused with the GS550E which has a disc rear brake. I would also suggest that you would have VM type carbs and not the later CV carbs that came on the GS550T model.

Comment

thanks guys for the input.

here's the odd bit. Eventhough it has a solid front disc and rear drums the carbs are constant velocity carbs.

installing a seat on the rear rack sounds like a good idea too. i think it's sturdy enough to handle the weight.

by the way, would any of you guys here know if a gs550 model from 1977 to 1979 has a similar frame to a gs550t model?

if not, how different are they?

yeah prices for bikes here are really expensive. I've toyed with the idea of migrating so I can ride cooler bikes. but i guess for the time being, i'll be riding my gs550 though
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

This is a diagram of the '77 to 79 frame.

Check the rear footrest attachments on the frame to see if they match up. There is one above and one below the swinging arm pivot bolt and they form a triangle with the frame.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Fareastern~ Welcome to the site. Good luck with your search. However just a heads up; That bike has very few similarities with the US model GS's. It's like the US model 77-79 gs550 and the 80-82 gs550 got together and made a kid. I would highly recommend fabricating the rear seat. I think that if you tear into it, it's only gonna be expensive as parts may or may not be compatible.

Good luck.
                          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                            Fareastern~ Welcome to the site. Good luck with your search. However just a heads up; That bike has very few similarities with the US model GS's. It's like the US model 77-79 gs550 and the 80-82 gs550 got together and made a kid. I would highly recommend fabricating the rear seat. I think that if you tear into it, it's only gonna be expensive as parts may or may not be compatible.

Good luck.
                            I agree with BRVEAGLE. He and I both have 550s and know our stuff on them pretty well and this bike is definitely a mixture with the early frame and CV carbs. Get it going the best you can by spending the least amount of cash on it that you have to. Do whatever mods you need to ride two up and just enjoy riding it. And any other mods that you require to make it functional for your use. There are people here to help you along the way if you need any advice on any of the mods that you may be required to do.

Comment

thanks for the help guys.. i think i'll go with restoring to original condition.
                              it will definately be cheaper as well as much more practical. will keep you guys posted with pics once the project is in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X