weak spark on 750E common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weak spark on 750E common?

I'm getting popping and banging on what appears to be a weak sparking 750E. Stator provides good voltage , new battery sits at 13.6 at rest. all plugs have a weak dull blue spark. wires and caps are all at 5.5k ohms.
    NOS wire harness on the way. I hope that will work.

Fuel, carbs, and valves are all OK

Search for threads on adding a relay to get power to the coils directly from the battery instead of the stock harness.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Search for threads on adding a relay to get power to the coils directly from the battery instead of the stock harness.
      Great idea, I'll try that asap. I have a number of good waterproof relays that would work real slick.

Comment

what does a relay do?
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
          what does a relay do?
          It's a "Must do" modification in my opinion. In the original wiring the hot wire for the coils passes through the kill switch and sometimes other switches on the bike. This causes (especially with 30 year old switches) resistance so the 12V that left your battery may be 11, 10, even 9 or lower volts by the time it hits the coil, translates to weak spark. You use a relay to wire a hot directly from the battery to the relay and from there to the coils so you get the full output of the battery for spark. The relay functions to cut that juice off and on when the kill switch is used, ignition is off, etc.... Search for "Coil Relay Mod" and you should find a nice pictorial on it. I am NOT an electrical guy and I did it in an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
            It's a "Must do" modification in my opinion. In the original wiring the hot wire for the coils passes through the kill switch and sometimes other switches on the bike. This causes (especially with 30 year old switches) resistance so the 12V that left your battery may be 11, 10, even 9 or lower volts by the time it hits the coil, translates to weak spark. You use a relay to wire a hot directly from the battery to the relay and from there to the coils so you get the full output of the battery for spark. The relay functions to cut that juice off and on when the kill switch is used, ignition is off, etc.... Search for "Coil Relay Mod" and you should find a nice pictorial on it. I am NOT an electrical guy and I did it in an hour.
            Thanks for the suggestion. Did the mod. It started up even though plugs were likely fouled and wet!

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
              what does a relay do?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X