Fuse Box upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse Box upgrade

Is a fuse box from a 1985 1150 and/or a 1983 GS 750 compatible with my '79 850? I'm looking to upgrade.

Thanks for any advise you may have.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
    Is a fuse box from a 1985 1150 and/or a 1983 GS 750 compatible with my '79 850? I'm looking to upgrade.

Thanks for any advise you may have.
    You can make it work, no doubt, an even better upgrade would be an $8 ATC fuseblock from your local pep boys that gets rid of the glass fuses.

Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Is a fuse box from a 1985 1150 and/or a 1983 GS 750 compatible with my '79 850?
      As the good doctor mentioned, ... yeah, sorta, if you really want it to be.

It won't be a direct bolt-in fit, because (I believe) your '79 has two fuse boxes. One fuse is by itself (ACC fuse) and the other four are in their own box. The '83 and '85 boxes will have all five fuses in one box. Unless those boxes are basically free, as the doctor mentioned, if you are looking to "upgrade" (and you used that word), you would be better off getting a 6- or 8-position block that uses ATC fuses.

If you do that, though, you will have to do a little more re-wiring as all of those fuses will be on the same feed. You really need to have a fuse in your main line that feeds the ignition switch because that comes straight off the battery. The switched wire coming from the ignition switch then goes back to the fuse box, and that is what will feed your 6 or 8 sub-circuits. If it were my bike, I would install a single fuse (or circuit breaker) for the main line and use the switched wire from the ignition switch to control a relay that turns on the power to the fuse panel. Hey, you are going to have to do some re-wiring anyway, why not do just a little more and take the load off the ignition switch contacts? If you go with the relay idea, that fuse that is feeding the ignition switch won't have to be very big, as its only load will be the relay. A 1-amp fuse would be overkill. On second thought, if you put the key in the PARK position, the tail light bulb will be fed from this, but a 1-amp fuse will still work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

but you need 2 for both circuits, one for 4 accessories and one for the 12v constant, if i understand correctly.

read here.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
          but you need 2 for both circuits, one for 4 accessories and one for the 12v constant, if i understand correctly.

read here.
          If you REALLY want to upgrade and don't mind spending a little bit of money in the process ... check out this box. It has six circuits and you can decide whether each circuit is always live or switched merely by moving the fuse to another location. Sure, it costs $80, but it's a quality piece of work.
          (But you still need a separate feed to the ignition switch.)

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The fuseblock on the 1150 IS the atc style...no glass fuses. It would probably work, and is about the same size as the block on the older GS's.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              The fuseblock on the 1150 IS the atc style...no glass fuses. It would probably work, and is about the same size as the block on the older GS's.
              Good to know, didn't think there were any ATC fuseblocks on japanese bikes before the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post

read here.
                The 12V constant on mine is an inline ATC fuse the accessories go through the block..

Comment

I used two in order to give me enough circuits to be added on later and clean up the harness. They were cheap and fit perfectly under the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post

I used two in order to give me enough circuits to be added on later and clean up the harness. They were cheap and fit perfectly under the seat.

you are the man.

what exactly do you have running there, and is the 12v constant running through one, or separate like mentioned earlier?

my bike doesnt look like that. what is the thing with the 4 screws in it?

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                      The fuseblock on the 1150 IS the atc style...no glass fuses.
                      Cool. When did they make the switch? Did they switch boxes on the smaller GSs as well?

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

somebody already converted the 4 fuse box to the 5 fuse box when i got it along with the electronic ignition. I've had some issues with the glass fuses and have been told that the spade ATC (not sure what that stands for) fuses are a good improvement.

According to some of my research the 82 850's/750's (select models) and up use the spade fuses. According to pictures on micro fiche from flat out and alpha anyway.

what does the accessory fuse do?

i don't like to go drilling everywhere to add something that might use the same drill holes that i already have. Don't know if you would call OCD or not but.....

Some great suggestion though. It's incredible the things you can use and places you can go to find replacement parts without using the somewhat "original" parts.

Thanks for the ideas.
                        1979 GS850G
                        2004 SV650N track bike
                        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

Comment

According to some of my research the 82 850's/750's (select models) and up use the spade fuses. According to pictures on micro fiche from flat out and alpha anyway.
                          Well, I can verify that the '82 850L has glass fuses, so I guess that falls into the "select models" disclaimer, doesn't it?

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

the '82 850 GL D model uses spades. The 82 850 GL Z model uses glass according to micro fiche pictures anyways. But who can believe pictures, most of the time, according to the lawyer, HA!
                            1979 GS850G
                            2004 SV650N track bike
                            2005 TT-R125 pit bike

Comment

the '82 850 GL D model uses spades.
                              Actually, it was the '83 model that had the D designation.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X