Coils? or Something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils? or Something else?

The bike was running on 3 cylinders i though it was the carburator or the wire or plug

Pull of the tank and saw that i did put the spark plug wires the wrong way...

Before it was running on all cyliners other than the 2nd cylinder front the right. (#2 cylinder)

now that i put the coils on the right order

left side coil on two left cylinders and right coil on two right cylinders

it fires only 1 and 3 cylinder (front the left...) juice on those two cylinders comes from two differnet coils...

ps: the 3rd cylinder that didnt run before runs now... so it has to be electrical the problem, Need New Coils?

What can be the problem...

This is the plug from one of the non firing cylinders
    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM.

The coils should be firing 1-4 and 2-3. Not sure of the placement as far as which one is mounted left and which one is mounted right on your bike but I'm sure of the firing order. If I were you, I would try the left one connected to plugs 1 and 4. Then connect the right one to plugs 2 and 3. If that's wrong, switch them and you've got it.

HTH.

Comment

i am not 100% sure either but i agree with don. On my '79 850 i know one coil is for 1-4 and the other is for 2-3. I had electrical issue last summer and thought it may have been the coil. Turned out to be the ignitor. Replaced it and the number 4 started to fire. I don't know how to test the ignitor though. I think Basscliff has a manual on his website for it.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
        I would try the left one connected to plugs 1 and 4. Then connect the right one to plugs 2 and 3. If that's wrong, switch them and you've got it.
        This is correct, as long as you remember which side of the bike is the right side.
        Originally posted by Astroman View Post
        Before it was running on all cyliners other than the 2nd cylinder front the right. (#2 cylinder)
        All references to left and right are made as if you are riding the bike.
        #1 is on the LEFT side, which is under your LEFT hand, which is on the clutch.
        #4 is on the RIGHT side, which is under your RIGHT hand, which is on the throttle.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
          The coils should be firing 1-4 and 2-3. Not sure of the placement as far as which one is mounted left and which one is mounted right on your bike but I'm sure of the firing order. If I were you, I would try the left one connected to plugs 1 and 4. Then connect the right one to plugs 2 and 3. If that's wrong, switch them and you've got it.

HTH.

Ok for some strange reason the right side coil should be on the left side.. when i switch the wires from the left coil to the right side cylinders and the opposite from the right side coil the bike fires up and runs on all 4 cylinders!!

tks!

im getting a pair of Dyna Coils anyway...

Im amazed of the power this old motor has.... very similar to my old ZRX1200

Comment

Sounds like the wires from the ignitor to the coils have gotten swapped. No problem, just remember that for future reference.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right coil 1-4
              Left coil-2-3
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bill, you got it backwards. Ray.

Comment

Then I put my Dyna coils in backwards.
                  But I don't think so.
                  I had the coil out today because I was arcing on the frame.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The factory wiring diagram shows the wires to the 1-4 coil on the LEFT side of the bike. You may have switched yours around & it would still work. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X