Fixing Bike After Crash: Diagnosis Report/Alignment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing Bike After Crash: Diagnosis Report/Alignment Question

After my low speed "get off" last week, the bike would not start, all the electrics worked, except no spark. I checked all the usual electrical connections, wires, fuses, etc. to the best of my limited ability. I had continuity through all the right places with a volt-ohm meter, except at the electronic ignition. I couldn't figure out how to fix it myself, and took the bike to the GS guru mechanic who has done most of my more advanced repair and modifications since I acquired the bike last autumn. The result of his diagnosis was that the "brain box" of the electronic ignition was "fried". No logical theory as to how a low-speed wipe-out would "fry" the box, but that's not important to the fix. My ego would love to believe that the box "quit" while I was riding and that's what caused the accident!

Anyway, he put a new (used) box in and voila, the bike runs fine. He said, no charge for the diagnosis, repair, and part replacement as I've been a good customer and could use a break after my wipe-out.

I got the bike home on the pickup truck, took it for a ride, and immediately noticed that the front wheel alignment is off (presumably from the crash). I'm reluctant to call the guy and ask how to fix the alignment, as it might possibly sound like I'm complaining that he didn't notice it, fix it, or bring it to my attention. The alignment is off sufficiently that it's obvious to me that he didn't take the bike for a test ride after fixing the ignition (which is OK, but not thorough). Again, his repair was free, the bike runs again, and I'm not complaining.

So, the question is: Other than simply jamming my front wheel between two closely spaced posts or trees and wrestling with the handlebars to straighten things out (which is what I did often with dirt bikes 20-years ago), is there a "proper" way to check and adjust wheel alignment (including front/rear wheel alignment and handlebar to front wheel alignment)?

Is alignment best left to a motorcycle shop with fancy alignment equipment, or something that I could do at home with maybe a carpenters level, straightedge, strings, etc.?

Thanks!

PS: I did do a search here on the GSR before my post. From that search, I understand part of the proceedure (just enough to be dangerous!). The trouble is, when I clicked on website links for full, extensive alignment proceedures that GSR members posted, I got a Page Expired message or Page Not Found message.

Comment

It mat be that the fork tubes have turned in the tripple trees Put the bike on the center stand and support the bike under the engine. Loosen the Axel/caps and fork tube pinch bolts. It should Then go back and retorque the axel caps and axel. the retorque the pinch bolts. It should re center itself unless something is bent

Comment

Try this link

Gerry

Comment

the forks are often tweaked in the triple clamps during minor accidents, loosen the clamp bolts, (top and bottom) also loosen the axle pinch bolts, (like Lynn said!)

you can, after making sure the handle bars are not bent, make sure the back wheel is straight, (for chainies only) and using two 2x4 boards clamp them on ether side of the wheels to align the wheels and sit on the bike and twist the handle bars straight, you then will tighten the various bolts.
          voil? aligned!!

Comment

Sounds like you'll be ready for the New England Ride on the 28th...cool!!

I hope this alignment pretty much takes care of your problems...I feel for ya man!!

Mark

Comment

are you sure its the front wheel? if you have a chain drive it could be your back tire that is out of allingment check this first as it easier to allign the rear tire. may just be the handlebars?( could they be bent?) does the bike travel crooked when giong straight? or does the the tire point different than the bars?

Comment

Hey Skip!

You ask good questions. Some are easier to answer than others, because I don't have anybody to follow me down the road and observe if the bike rides straight or crooked with respect to front/rear wheel alignment (I didn't tell my wife about the crash and I ain't gonna! I just told her that "that damn bike just quit on me, and I hafta go get it with the pickup"!).

The visual alignment between the handlebars and front wheel is definitely "off" by maybe 10 degrees. When the handlebars point straight ahead, the front wheel points to the left by about 10 degrees. The front fender was bent a little too, but that was easy to pull back into position after the "get off".

The rear wheel "index' marks on the axle for chain tightening are both at the same "index" location, so I guess the rear wheel alignment is OK.

There's no doubt about it, the bike feels a little "funny" when I ride it. Since I first posted this thread on the forum, I've talked to a couple of friends with bikes and have learned that a low speed "get off" is actually kinda common, and that the common fix is to put the front wheel between two posts and tweak the handlebars, just like I used to do with dirt bikes as noted in my post!

So anyway, I'm going to get a string, wrap it around the front and rear wheel and tighten it and check clearances between the string and wheels, as recommended here on the GSR. I'm also going to use an aluminum I-beam type carpenters level and place it up against the front forks (I used the Search feature on the technical forum). All of this will just confirm that I have an alignment problem. My question is: How do I fix it?! I read about "pinch bolts" on the triple tree, but i don't really understand this. I have a Suzuki factory repair manual that doesn't seem to address this issue, because I guess they don't expect crashes!

Comment

I wouldn't feel bad if the mechanic didn't take the bike for a test drive. Back when my I had my Cavalier my mechanic refused to test drive it as he had a family (his exact words)... When I got my van he took it out for a run without even asking.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X