Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSX1100E vs. GS1100E...are their gas tanks interchangable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100E vs. GS1100E...are their gas tanks interchangable?

Question: Will a 1980 GSX 1100E gas tank fit onto a 1980 GS 1100E?

Rudi

Did they actually have both a 8 valve and a 16 valve in the same year? If not, the GS1100 has a silent X I think, and would be the same bike. But I'm just guessing here.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they made a 1980 16 valve GSX 1100 because I have one sitting in my garage. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
      Did they actually have both a 8 valve and a 16 valve in the same year? If not, the GS1100 has a silent X I think, and would be the same bike. But I'm just guessing here.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: GSX1100E vs. GS1100E...are their gas tanks interchangabl

Originally posted by Rudi

Rudi
        Rudi, I thought that difference in model designation was just the difference between US (GS1100E) and Europe (GSX1100E). The GSX designation signified a 16-valve, where in the US the 16-valve was the GS1100E.

Smarter folks, is that right?
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Re: GSX1100E vs. GS1100E...are their gas tanks interchangabl

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
          Originally posted by Rudi

Rudi
          Rudi, I thought that difference in model designation was just the difference between US (GS1100E) and Europe (GSX1100E). The GSX designation signified a 16-valve, where in the US the 16-valve was the GS1100E.

Smarter folks, is that right?
          yes, that is correct! when they brought out the 16 valve engine in 1980, they changed the designation in europe to GSX, but left it at GS for the states,they are the same.

Comment

With that said, can I try to buy a GSX 1100E gas tank for my GS1100E? The reason is simple: It's hard to find a decent tank for a GS1100E. I figured I could better my chances if I also looked for the European version.

Rudi

Comment

Yes Rudi all 80 model GS1100E and GSX1100E parts are interchangable the only difference is the lack of an X on the side of the US bike. BTW did Canada also have to suffer through GS only nameplate syndrome?
              Dink

Comment

Great..thanks, Dink! BTW, Hap mentioned that the GS 750e gas tanks were identical to the GS1100E. Anyone know which year(s) that hold true for?

Rudi

Comment

Yep, my 1100s side cover badges say GS1100 rather than GSX1100

Steve

Comment

Well..if anybody sees or hears of a nice gas tank being for sale..PLEASE let me know. Kapesh? :-)

Rudi

Comment

Rudi yes the 82 GS750E tank will fit the 80 and 81 1100 identical tanks

Comment

also the side covers for the 80 and 81 1100 are the same as the 82 750

Comment

Working...
                        X