Took master cylinder apart....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took master cylinder apart....

I bought a rebuild kit for my master cylinder. 1979 GS750. It came apart all fine. Except the spring popped out and landed on the floor. So I have the new parts ready to install. But the new spring has a rubber piece on one end and a half cirlce thing on the other end, just like the old one. Which side goes in first. I dont know since mine shot out. I tried looking at the diagram in my manual but I can't tell a difference. Its just a blur.

Is the spring facing the right direction or does it get turned around.

Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM.

Take a look at the old rubber piece, from what I can remember it should have an imprint on it that looks like a star from the metal plunger. You have it reversed. The metal piece on the end of the spring goes in the bore first and the rubber piece rests against the metal plunger.

Comment

You have the spring reversed, acording to the diagram found in my factory manual for my 850GLZ.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yea, flip the spring around. Also, make sure you look down the bore with a flashlight and inspect for any pitting in the metal. It's very common for the aluminum to be corroded where the piston came to rest. Hopefully yours won't be.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It's very common for the aluminum to be corroded where the piston came to rest
          I had that problem with mine..I cleaned the bore as best I could but it caused the m/c to leak a very small amount of fluid past the seal. One of the project this spring will be to find another m/c. It doesn't leak too bad but I just don't like the idea of it leaking at all.

Comment

ok, thanks for the info guys. I will check out the bore tomorrow. But I believe its almost perfect from when I cleaned it out.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              I had that problem with mine..I cleaned the bore as best I could but it caused the m/c to leak a very small amount of fluid past the seal. One of the project this spring will be to find another m/c. It doesn't leak too bad but I just don't like the idea of it leaking at all.
              I would trash it now and not ride it. This is not something that can be tolerated since it can fail completely, right when you need it most.

A service test for a rebuilt cylinder is to clamp it down with a bunggie cord or rope overnight and see if there is any seepage.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I would trash it now and not ride it. This is not something that can be tolerated since it can fail completely, right when you need it most.
                I fell down a flight of stairs in november and broke my leg..so I won't be riding for a while. I'm still on crutches, can't walk without them yet. I'm hoping that I can walk in the next couple of months.

Comment

I fell down a flight of stairs in november and broke my leg..so I won't be riding for a while. I'm still on crutches, can't walk without them yet. I'm hoping that I can walk in the next couple of months.
                  That's a different kind of "brake"
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Gotta love the search feature!!! Answered my?'s without any cornfusion.

Comment

I had a friend, broke his leg in a car accident. Stopped by one day- leg in cast and crutches tied to the back.. take your time

Comment

Working...
                      X