Needling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needling question

With thanks to basscliff for his brilliant website, I have a stupid question about raising the needle on my CV carb. Using the attached image as a reference, how do I do it

well I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. If you are trying to raise the needle the c clip on the inside is what you are after. usually needle adjustments are unnecessary for stock setups, and aftermarket jet kits are best for that tuning.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Sorry, should have given more information. I have pods and therefore am running a bit lean at about 4000rpm. I thought I'd go down the raising needle path before spending money I don't have on a dynojet setup.

Where is this c clip you speak of?

Comment

The GS engines are very lean from new and run quite a bit better with a little needle shimming in my experience. To raise the needle you need to remove the needle and then reduce the thickness of the plastic washer ON TOP of the clip. Of course, these instructions are for US models without adjustable needles. Not sure what kind of needles other countries received.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The GS engines are very lean from new and run quite a bit better with a little needle shimming in my experience. To raise the needle you need to remove the needle and then reduce the thickness of the plastic washer ON TOP of the clip. Of course, these instructions are for US models without adjustable needles. Not sure what kind of needles other countries received.
          Sorry to be such an idiot, but where is the clip you speak of? Is it in the body of the carb? And the needle you're referring to is the one attached to the slide right?

Please excuse my noobyness.

Comment

You need to remove the needle from the slides with a pair of long needle-nosed pliers or circlip removers. Look onto the slide and you'll see the clip.
            The needle has an e-clip on it. I'm not sure if you have notches on your needle to raise an lower it. You need to get it out first and get back to us.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Referencing the picture above, look in the right side. You will be looking past the diaphragm, down to the bottom of the slide. There, you will see a plastic stem sticking up the middle. Holding that stem in place is an internal circlip. To remove that, you will need some long circlip pliers or a set of 5 1/2" needlenose pliers from Sears. Remove the clip, use the pliers to pull out the plastic stem. You can now push the needle up from the bottom. Pay attention to the order of washers, there will be a small clip on the needle itself, with a thicker nylon spacer above it and a thin metal washer under it, along with a spring. The spring pushes the needle up all the time, so to raise the needle, you need to reduce the thickness of this nylon spacer. One common way is to use washers from an assortment pack at Radio Shack. The smallest washers in that pack fit the needle and down in its mounting hole in the slide. Probably 2 washers will be enough.

Have you changed the main jets at all? That will help considerably, too. If you are only running pods and not a pipe, two sizes up might be enough. If you have pods and a pipe, probably 5 sizes, but these are just guesses.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys. I've taken her apart no problem, and will let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                X