What engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What engine

I've just bought a GSX 1100 it's was imported in 91 and was given a 1980 reg. I think its has a later engine fitted as some of the engine parts for a 1980 do not fit, the number is GS 110X107386 Anyone any idea what the engine is from or what year it is.

Keith S

is that the bike in question in your avitar picture?
    if it is (a little hard to tell) that looks like a 1981 gs (gsx) 1100E, the key is if it has a square headlight (looks like it)
    and the cam end covers are rectangle shaped instead of round (looks like it but that is a tiny picture!)

Comment

Actually Leon the X in the engine number is the give away it signifies that it is a 16Valve motor and the lowness of the engine number tells us that it is a 1980 GSX1100T imported from Aug79 till Oct80.
      Dink

Comment

Thanks Dink, where did you get the info on the engine numbers????
        still don't explain why my generator is 3mm smaller than the standard for 1980 engine and only puts out 60v. It works fine 12.3v to 14v at the battery but I had to replace the regulator to get that !!!!!

Keith S

Comment

The rotor is easy , at some point someone put a 750 one in. 60 volts aint bad and may very well beall the capacity it has otherwise it is also up for repair or replacement.
          BTW the list of engine numbers I refered to is in the front of the "Haynes" manual no737 for GSX/GS1000,1100 & 1150
          Dink
          I also have the genuine manual for both my bikes, I wont ever bother with Haynes again , that listing is the only resonably useful piece of info in it.

Comment

Working...
          X