stock vs aftermarket air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock vs aftermarket air box

just curious about the benefits of putting an aftermarket air box on. would make taking the carbs on/off alot easier with some of the ones I've seen. Would having the side panels still attached on the side affect the amont of air being drawn in? I would think not seeing as the airbox on my '83 750es is mostly stuffed under the seat.
    Cheers,
    Shaun

oh yah...anyone have recomendations and associated costs?

Let me be the first to ask what an aftermarket air box is?? I didnt know they were sold any where 8O I've seen a few home made ones though>

Comment

ok ok

ok...hmm I guess I worded it wrong...look at the "BIke of the month" that air thinger attached to the carbs is what I'm refering to

Comment

I would think pods would be capable of flowing a lot more air than the stock 83 GS750 airbox, which has a snorkel restriction at the top. You would probably need a freer-flowing, aftermarket exhaust and jetting changes to take full advantage of the pods, though. Billy Ricks is probably the guy to ask, since he has done a lot of mods to his GS700.

Comment

I've done the pod/4 into 1 upgrade on my 700, and I like the results, but don't have it tuned just right yet. I bought the UNI pods with the chrome end caps, and they seem to work fine, but in Pingel's Catalog, they have some K&N look alikes that are pretty cheap. I'd probably do those if I was doing it again. The Airbox is impossible to get out of these bikes, without engine removal, or a hacksaw, unless I'm missing something.

Comment

It's mandatory to rejet when going to pods. The K&N jet kits are calabrated for K&N filters using a different filter will change the jetting
            Lots of trial and error to get it right total cost ?? $120 filters&jet kit

Comment

You can remove the airbox on the 83GS750 without pulling the motor or using a hacksaw by carefully splitting the airbox where the two halves are glued together. This retains the ability to reinstall it later if you desire (all you have to do is place the two halves back in the bike and glue the box back together)

Comment

BillBBB's got it right. That's how I got mine out. Get the carbs off and out of the way then split the airbox.

Shaun, if you aren't going to use an aftermarket exhaust stick to the stock airbox with maybe a K&N filter element. Unless you are prepared to get a jet kit I would just use a stock element though. I still need to box up the exhaust and peg for you. I've been working day and night lately and haven't had much free time. The Hill Country Ride I went on this past weekend is the most fun I've had in a while. If you haven't seen them and are interested there are pics of my bike here, http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...de.msnw?Page=1. There are some on other pages of the photo album too.

Comment

wow

Billy,
                  that is one nice looking bike you have there. I take it by the pictures of the rear end that you managed to finish you swing arm and wheel conversion. maybe one day I will manage to make my bike look half as good as yours!
                  Cheers,
                  Shaun

Comment

Shaun,
                    It's still the stock swingarm, just polished. One of these days I'll get the Gixxer arm on it, just more than I want to tackle right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X